Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 8, 2006, 4:38 PM   #11

H, you are probably like me, i have to look for $1000 before considering it.

roy
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:43 PM   #12

I share Roy's view . Amazing lens. Likely immediately after you posted this , the FA*400 is gone. If Pentax persists not to make any longer tele, all the price of those will have just one direction to go - and that is up.

Daniel

thekman620 wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy. It is amazing how sharp it is at f4.5. I've taken some shots at this setting andf 5.6 and f8, and cannot tell the difference. Maybe the pros can, but I can't. I tend to just leave it on f4.5 on aperture priority and shoot away. Great for wildlife. No ca's either at f4.5. Only bad thing about the lens that I bought is it didn't have a lens hood. Not a big deal. I found quite a good collapsing rubber hood, and I've had no flaring. Probably harder to sell without the hood. I don't really care, as this is one lens I won't be parting with. By the way, there's a fa 400mm f5.6 on ebay right now for a buy it now price of $900. That looks like a heck of a deal. I'd be interested, but with the 1.4 extender, I have basically the same lens.....cheers......Don.

robar wrote:
Quote:
it's just so hard to believe this lens is this sharp at f4.5.
it's amazing
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 5:47 PM   #13

if i'd had 900 to spend on a lens i would have jumped on the 400.. hey, i'm doing good tho. i actually sold 3 lenses this week so far. anyone that was interested in my apo70-300 sigma. it's gone.. probably,,,, lol
Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:22 PM   #14

It is the most amazing lens, light, extremely sharp and fast focusing even with manual focus. I rarely use my hood and mostly keep it reversed on the lens, so the length is less and it then fits in my bag.

Sorry, but you all need one, you really do.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:39 PM   #15

if anyone is wondering.. i sent a request for shipping charges to a ebay seller and never really ck the name. it ended up thekman and he sent back and said hello. i looked at his feedback(all bad)lol, and saw he had recently purchased this lens and i asked for some samples.. congrats dude, you have a winner at a good and honest price..

roy
Old Jul 8, 2006, 7:58 PM   #16

Thanks everyone. Ya, it was a fluke finding it. I got home from work at 6:30 am, decided to check outebay, and there it was. Decided to bite the bullet. Glad I did, even if the lens hood is missing. It is a nice walkaround tele. I don't need a tripod if the lights good, and it doesnt wear me out....cheers......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 3:17 PM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Wow! I think I need to move to Canada--the photo subjects are spectacular!

Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:49 PM   #18

Living here hasn't helped me any, all I can get is robins and sea gulls.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:27 PM   #19

Hi,

These pictures are OUTSTANDING. Great job.

I have a newbie question what brand is the FA*300 lens?

greatgreyowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:33 PM   #20

When a lens is outstanding, it's a Pentax! The * (green star) series of lenses are the best of the best. They can be found in manual (A*) or autofocus (F*, FA*). If you can find one and afford it, buy it! If you can't afford it, sell your mother or rob the bank and buy it!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote