Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:03 PM   #11

Here in Newfoundland we live on an island with a history ofrural fishery. In the past 50 years a lot of small communities, only accessable by boat, have been resettled to larger serviced communities. Some day I hope to get an opportunity to visit some of these communities. They are not 100 years old like mid-west ghost towns and they are certainly not 400 years old like Swedish monasteries, but they do have a character that reflects a lifestyle long since passed.

Great shots Kjell, look forward to your posts in November Phil.

Ira

Here is a taste of what I mean (Takumar-f 70-200 at about 70mm) :

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:47 PM   #12

Phenomal shots, Ira & Kjell!! I always look forward to posts such as these. It is always interesting to evidence of life more than 50years old like it is here in the middle of the States. 2yrs ago, my wife, father-in-law, brother-in-law & I got the opportunity to visit s/w Ireland. It was the trip of a lifetime ... getting to see ruins 1000 years old & to take in beautiful landscape. Just Awesome! We can hardly wait to return to see more!

Ok I'll stop rambling & say thanks for the postings!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 5:51 PM   #13

Thank you, Kjell and Ira, for absolutely gorgeous images, great colors, composition, sharpness, feeling. Nothing like going back to those places filled with history and where we realize how much we benefitted from the lives of other generations.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:02 PM   #14

My childhood town is also part of history. The town itself has the charm of a small town, they have kept the wooden houses even in the city centre. Well, city is perhaps exaggerating a bit, the town has a population of 12 000.
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:10 PM   #15

But more historical is the silvermine. It was started in the 10th century, around 1500 it was the biggest in Europe, and it finally closed down in the beginning of the19-hundreds. Now itsthe only real tourist attraction this little town has, and from this year there are guided tours down to the 155-metres level (170 yds). Lower than that it's filled with water.

It was not easy to take photos down there, I didn't have even a monopod and the lighting was done to give you feeling of darkness. But 500 years ago they only had candlelights and torches!

#1:
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:10 PM   #16

Nice shooting Ira. I like your composition style. Creative. The country back east sure is different from the west. Got to visit there some time in the future. Like to spend 6 months back there....cheers........Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:11 PM   #17

Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:13 PM   #18

The ladder was found when they lowered the water level to make more of the mine available for tourists.
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 6:19 PM   #19

And finally one from the surface. Parts of the mine have collapsed. The buildings here are around 350 years old. Thanks for looking!

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Jul 9, 2006, 7:18 PM   #20

Hey Nice to have you back.

Likely you did not have proper connection the last few weeks.
Maybe that was your gain (by paying more attention to what happened around you and not on the monitor). That could be a loss to this forum though.
I love taking pic of old or deserted communities. My two daughters who work in high tech field used to tease me about taking pict of those mundane and outdated way of living. I just look forward to the day of retirement when I can spend more time exploring in this area.

Daniel

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Here in Newfoundland we live on an island with a history ofrural fishery. In the past 50 years a lot of small communities, only accessable by boat, have been resettled to larger serviced communities. Some day I hope to get an opportunity to visit some of these communities. They are not 100 years old like mid-west ghost towns and they are certainly not 400 years old like Swedish monasteries, but they do have a character that reflects a lifestyle long since passed.

Great shots Kjell, look forward to your posts in November Phil.

Ira

Here is a taste of what I mean (Takumar-f 70-200 at about 70mm) :

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote