Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:05 AM   #1

Here are some images from the old homestead on the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland. Most are just garden images, Kjell, you may like some of these. Roy, sorry I didn't bring the 70-210 A with me.

Window beads, part of a window hanging made by my aunt. Not an icicle but just hanging around.(Takumar-F 70-200mm at 200mm)

A "Bleeding Heart" in Mom's garden (Pentax SMC FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 at 300mm, cropped from a horizontal capture)

A Peoni, interesting to ants it seems (the Takumar 70-200 at 200mm)

Without a real macro lens, or Roy's expertise, this is my best insect shot (cropped, DA 18-55mm at 55mm)

One more "floral motif" in this post (I will post some other images in this thread later). This flower grows wild, usually beside a very similar yellow flower, it is a smaller bloom than dandelion on long strong stalks. I have heard it called indian paintbrush but it does not resemble the flowerd I have seen posted here under that name. I would like help to identify the flower and the bee or wasp on it. (Pentax SMC FA 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 at 80mm)

My youngest son is not certain that photographing flowers is a "manly pursuit" so next time I'll try old churches.

All comments welcome.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:22 AM   #2

Ira
Excellent Shots all. My favorite is the Shot with the bee

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:25 AM   #3

I though that sepia vignettes may be a nice way to present these old buildings. Some of these churches are soon closing because of the decrease in the rural population (the average age in some of these towns must be over sixty). These first two are closing soon (all shots with the DA 18-55mm and a circular polarizer):

Black Head (build 1931)

Ochre Pit Cove (built 1938)

The rest are remaining open for now:

Broad Cove, a beautiful piece of classical rural church architecture standing on a hill:

Western Bay, an uninspiring piece of 1960's modern church design:

And finally, a cute little church in Northern Bay:

Sorry about the toning, I should pay a little more attention when I "colourize" in PSE. These were cropped, colourized, vignetted and then noise was added in the original version of Photo Shop Elements.

Ira
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:43 AM   #4

Ira

Again excellent shots. The last one reminds me of a Church i saw on the Cape Cod earlyer this week.

Phil
Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:49 AM   #5

Hi Ira - The orange flower is definately not a paintbrush. I looks more like an Agoseris or Microseris. Could tell more if you got a shot showing the leaves. I'm sure the wildplants up there in Newfoundland may be a little different varietythen here in the Northwest - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:18 AM   #6

hi Ira,

nice pictures again; i like the fly best and the bleeding heart.

that orange flower is (i'm pretty sure) orange hawkweed which Peterson's says is an alien but grows in Newfoundland as well as other spots.also known as "Devil's paintbrush". it's blossoming here now alsoin nw ontario and as you mentioned seems to associate with a yellow hawkweed which i've never specifically identified (Peterson's again lists 4 varieties)

i'm not sure what qualifies as manly but if it would help you can tell your young son you know of a current logger/former trapper/former live-off-the-land bush rat who drives a Ford super duty crew cab 4 wheel drive pick-up etc. and whose favorite photographic subjects by far are wild flowers!

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:18 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments, and the information, folks. Here is one more just for fun, Lilacs and a bird house (FA 28-80 at 80mm)

Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:06 PM   #8

Hello Ira!

Nice images all of them, I won't pick a favourite but instead patiently wait for more.

So what did I do when you were away? Well, I was away. No to se my mothers homestead, but to see the town of my childhood. I will come back to that later. I'll also reveal the woman in me later. To strengthen my manlyhood I'll start with an old church that wevisited on the way up to Sala, the town earlyer mentioned.

This monastery, Alvastra,is a bit older than your churches. It was destroyed by order of the king in the early 16th century, after 400 years of use. It was part of his efforts toincrease his ownpower at the expense of the pope. These are the remains. The young man is not a monk, it's my son.

Kjell
Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 2:06 PM   #9

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2006, 4:29 PM   #10

Billybianca

Awesome Shots. I love looking at Ruins. A Glimpse to the past and So much history.
On My Hopefully upcoming Vacation in Nov to Arizona, amongst Other things I want To check out some Ghost towns.

Phil