Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 9, 2006, 9:32 PM   #1

I dug out my old flash - it's an AF200S flash that I bought for the ME. Since I have the DS rather than the DL, I thought I would try it. It seemed to work OK in manual mode (set shutter speed to 100 and used the green setting). It seemed to work OK (when I tried it in program mode it was over-exposed). Will this flash cause any problems? I dug out the manual and re-read how to use it, which helped - I now have an idea of how to use it correctly (the last time I tried to use it with a manual camera, it didn't work at all right). I really don't like using a flash much, but thought this might work in a pinch, perhaps better than the on-board one?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:21 PM   #2

flash is great when it's needed. i LOVE flash for macros and for fill. is the AF200S a TTL flash? i don't know anything about it but if it's TTL it should give excellent results. i use mine(400ftz) on the DS from about 2'' away and it's excellent.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

Well, that's just it, I have no idea what this flash is, and the instruction book doesn't exactly help with such things. It does tell you how to use it with the ME, the MX and the MV. Does that sound like something that would be a TTL flash? It has a switch on the back for green, red and white (manual and two auto settings - high and low), along with a gauge/switch to set the ASA (tells you something about how old the flash is, doesn't it?). I think I bought it in 1980 or maybe 1981, and they didn't include the voltage etc. on flashes then. I'm guessing that it is TTL since it mentions being an auto settings as well as manual settings. It's in really good condition, so if it won't burn out the hotshoe circuitry and if I can get a handle on how to use it (I think I have that figured out now), I'd rather use it than spring for a new flash (considering how little I use one).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote