Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:54 PM   #11

No expert, but I think the pictures areof an American bittern (Botaurus lentiginosus).

I must admit that on my monitor I too like the jpg version, but not sure I can put my finger (or eye) on exactly why.

I'm facing the question of raw versus jpg this weekend. Son getting married and I think I'll shoot inraw to give maximum flexibility, but since my CS2 skills are about zero not sure if that is really necessary. However, it was a good excuse to buy a fast 2 gig card to make sure I had lots of storage space. Unfortunately, my Sigma 24-135 is still being repaired under warranty so I'll have to stick to the kit lens, which I do find does a good job.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 3:39 PM   #12

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Here is my first attempt to increase the dynamic range of a scene using RAW processing, I read about this technique in Popular Photography magazine. It involves processingthe image oncefor the highlights and then again for the shadow and using layers to combine the results. (please ignore mediocre composition)

Ira
i posted an easier method at least 6 months ago. same thing, just different technique. it uses the whole image tho.

Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:07 PM   #13

I actually like the jpg version better. I dont really like how you saturated/processed the raw file. I prefer the more subdued tones... but thats all just a personal preference I do like the composition on the raw one better, they both are nice pictures
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:19 AM   #14

JPEG is definately better.

However in case of RAW very important role goes to RAW comverter. You can get very different (and sometimes very dissapointing!) with different RAW converters.

What converter was used in your case? also it would be very interesting to get original RAW file

Also, you've said that pictures were taken in different conditions.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:26 AM   #15

robar wrote:
Quote:
i posted an easier method at least 6 months ago. same thing, just different technique. it uses the whole image tho.
Could you give a hint how to find that post. Or maybe you can repost it?
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote