Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 4:50 PM   #1

Ok so I try to use adobe bridge to select files and then image processor to not only convert to jpg but to also resize for internet use (facebook actually, hahaha) so i selected the option to open first image to edit assuming that i would pick one picture, make adjustments and then photoshop would become the little engine that could and edit all of them likewise and then resize. To my frustration, I found out that photoshop cannot follow its own instructions and would not let me convert more then just the one picture without reconfiguring the options. It also didnt resize. Then, I unchecked the "open first image" option in the image processor settings, and then, guess what, it converts all my raw files with that annoying autoadjust camera raw defaults checked so most of my pictures come out o.k. but then there are those that are ridiculiously washed out. Thanks adobe.

Is there another program that can resize and convert batches without applying any setttings at all to the raw unless specified by me?

Or help on this adobe problem? No doubt I'm not the only one stuck infront of the computer editing batches one at a time...

thanks,
-alex
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:06 PM   #2

Don't have an answer - I just wish that ACR wouldn't automatically open the picture with their auto settings (I use Bridge also, and have learned not to judge my pictures by what I see there - it always converts the photos in the thumbnail and that's not always what I had envisioned or seen in the review on the camera).

Have you tried to use PhotoLab, the converter that came the camera? It can operate more like what you want to do - open several, change the first one, and then it can batch convert all that you have open. It works reasonably well, though it has it's own limitations. I tend to use ACR mostly, because then I don't have to save the jpg a second time if I make additional changes using photoshop (often do - cropping, USM, or whatever).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:15 PM   #3

Take your first image and correct it in ACR, then go to the drop down menu and click on save new default.

From then on this will be the auto setting in ACR (from bridge in CS2) and you will have to minimal adjusting from then on if your settings are the same for all your photographs.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4

With the optional plug-ins, Irfanview can open the Pentax RAW images, and it has an excellent batch mode. I haven't tried (yet) but I would assume that you could use that to quickly convert a pile of RAWs to JPGs (or PNGs or whatever), along with resizing or most any other trick you'd want to accomplish. www.irfanview.com if you don't already have it.

I have planned to try this soon, and have done it in the past to quickly resize piles of scanned TIFF files to 25% of their original size (600dpi to 150) and convert to PNG in one step.

In a related question - I just picked up the DL (very happy so far, and having fun with my old K1000 lenses on it - though curiously my Craig short-zoom - 18-55? something like that - won't go in) and am coming off a Minolta Z5 and before that a Fuji 2800, neither of which had Raw mode. I've mostly shot JPGs so far but tried a few Raw ones the other day.

My question is - is it normal for Raw files to take so darn long to open? Or is that a problem with Irfanview's viewer? I haven't yet grabbed the Adobe plug-in so I'm not sure how quickly they load into Photoshop... but it's so slow flipping between the RAW files that I couldn't use them for day-to-day viewing; I'd have to convert them to another format.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:38 PM   #5

Perfectly normal, raw images are almost completely untouched by the camera algorithms and are extremely large files so depending on your memory or cpu speed, they can take several years to load. Not really but a long time.

alex
Pentaxchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 11:57 AM   #6

Thanks for the info. I did try using Irfanview to batch convert and it worked perfectly. Of course, the PNG files (for lossless compression) are not much smaller... about 8 meg vs 10... but load nearly instantly when browsing in Irfanview. The batch conversion is a bit slow (since the plugin seems to load them slowly) but certainly much faster than using another program to do them one at a time!

I did get the Adobe plug-in and they seem to load faster in Photoshop than Irfanview, but still slower than other formats.

I think I'll probably stick with JPG for most stuff and maybe go with Raw if I'm doing something that is really critical.

Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:30 PM   #7

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
With the optional plug-ins, Irfanview can open the Pentax RAW images, and it has an excellent batch mode. I haven't tried (yet) but I would assume that you could use that to quickly convert a pile of RAWs to JPGs (or PNGs or whatever), along with resizing or most any other trick you'd want to accomplish. http://www.irfanview.com if you don't already have it.
Must have missed it somewhere along the line - but having installed the plug-ins, there no Pentax RAW support.

Update
Ooops - found it but it's a pretty second rate RAW converter. Take my advise & stick to Pentax PhotoLab V2.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 3:00 PM   #8

I have managed to never install a camera manufacturer's bundled software and I would very much like to continue that trend.

What's second rate about it? Being a raw, uncompressed image, I would assume that all viewers should show it the same? OK, so it's slow, but is there any difference between one converted to PNG from Irfanview vs the same converted with Photoshop or the bundled Pentax software?

Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:57 PM   #9

I can't speak to Irfanview, but I can address ACR and PhotoLab (the software that came with the DS). Both ACR and PhotoLab do adjusting automatically, and they do it differently. ACR will try to even out the exposure - if you take a light object against a dark, almost black background it will "develop" to bring the dark background to middle-range and wash out the light object (you can correct this by turning off the auto correction, but I haven't found a way to permanently turn this off so you have to turn it off for each photo). PhotoLab (when on auto)will "develop" the raw image pretty much like the camera would have if you had been shooting in jpg. You can also change this by settings such as the curve tool etc. and you can also convert a batch of photos at the same time using the same criteria. I would suspect that Irfanview has their own set of criteria built into the software.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote