Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 12, 2006, 9:09 AM   #21

I would like to see some examples taken with the Tamron 90mm macro on your DL since this was taken in jpg with my Tamron 90mm macro on my DS.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:49 AM   #22

Tom,

When I saw that he had unsharp pict from Tamron 90 macro, I said no way. You have sharp lens and sharp eyes. I tend to believe that something is wrong with his DL given he has tried different lens.
Let's wait and see

Daniel

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I would like to see some examples taken with the Tamron 90mm macro on your DL since this was taken in jpg with my Tamron 90mm macro on my DS.

Tom
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 8:01 AM   #23

Hi Looppee,

I'm the guy who bought the DL and started the thread linked here about having to process DL images vs point and shoot cameras.

Funny, now that I look at the pictures side by side a few weeks later the DL does look richer and sharper than my P+S, just exposure wasn't spot on out of the box.

I have shot +1 sharpness on my DL with kit lens. That is sharper than the default on my Canon A70. But I too notice that I prefer it sharper and do need to tweek after shooting more than my P+S, at least in anything other than bright sunny days which are far superior on the DL.

But, I hope you can shoot some more and test and hope you keep the camera if it works for you....but if you have the dough...heck going for the new Pentax sounds way better.

I'm bummed that I missed the $100 Pentax rebate by 30 days.
corvairfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:54 PM   #24

I recently bought the DL and had the same reaction about lack of "sharpness" usingthe kit lens.

I found two factors at work:

(1) the wide focus area setting was not setting the focus where I though I was center-aimimg...corrected by using the spot-focus target

(2) using this free software with one step (SHIFT-S) of sharpening: http://www.irfanview.com/

SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:35 AM   #25

Hi folks

Sorry to take so long to get back but I've been away spending some quality time with my kids.

Here's where things stand with the DL;

I went back to the store where I bought the camera, and did some quick tests with the in store demo camera. Bottom line, there seems to be a problem with the camera. SInce they didn't have another DL in stock (and wouldn't sell me the demo) I got a refund.

Apparently the K100 will be here around end of August and I'll wait for that. In the meantime, I'll shoot film with my K1000 and snap pics of the kids in the pool with the Olympus P&S.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on my "problem". I really appreciated the input.

Two things I want to add;

Ennacac, that pic you took of the Heron with the handheld 300mm lens - I tried some pics with a 70 to 300 sigma aplle coated zoom lens and some with a 350mm Tamron "stubby" prime lens, and man, I gotta say, you did an awesome job to get that pic withoutany camera shake. Even with a tripod, most of mine weren't that steady. Nice Job!!!

Second, to corvairfan; There was an antique car show in Lindsay, Ontario on Sunday. You should have seen it, and me there without a camera - geeezzz.

Thanks again to all and I'll be back at end of August when I pickup the K100!

Loop.............
looppeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 11:46 AM   #26

Hello,I just joined this forum and I just recieved my Pentax* *ist DL and I love it. I'm primarily a Nikon shooter and medium format,* but for the price and after comparing it with the Nikon D50/D70 and the Rebel 300D it can hold it's own. I read every review I could and understood that the camera is designed to give you soft images if you shoot jpeg. I shoot raw only and the photos are excellent with little post processing.*The one complaint I have and I knew going in was that the Pentax Raw converter and Browser sucked. The Pentax Photo Lab 2.1 software is not bad, could be better. But the one thing that suchs* Photo Shop CS is never going to open the* Pentax .PEF files as they are not and will not be supported in CS or PS Elements 2, or early versions of PS. Only in CS2, PS Elemtents 3 & 4 are all the D series camera file supported. I spent the entire past weekend trying every freeware/shareware RAW Conversion program that claimed to support Pentax and they did not work simply because CS does not read .PEF files. I tried every CS up date and Pluggin for the DNG/Raw Converter no luck. I tried the Update 3.1, which only works with CS2 no luck.This* problem is also happening with other cameras,* a friend informed me he can open his Nikon D200 Raw files but not his D70 files.* All in all I love the camera. The shot is with the 18-55 right out the box at ISO 200 and no post processing other than converting from Raw -16 bit Tiff in Photo Lab.
Attached Images

featherman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:26 PM   #27

featherman-

Have you tried CaptureOne software. There is a free 30 day trial copy.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 3:54 PM   #28

Although they were recently bought out by Adobe. You can Still download Raw Shooter Essentials for free. RSE is a Great program. It will open all the pentax Files
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:48 PM   #29

Loop - Sorry to hear that your camera was defective - hard to take, when you are all up for having a new camera, isn't it? At least you were able to get the issue resolved easily.

On the other hand, you can be the first person to post some photos with the K100D - I'm sure that everyone here is dying to see how it does (I know I am)!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:59 PM   #30

black knight-

Thanks for the post. I actually found that Rawshoot Essentials is really easy to use. Or perhaps I was just lucky with my first try.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote