Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

Hi folks! This is my first post and I'm sorry but, I need some advice.

I just bought a Pentax ist DL (I've been a Pentax shooter for a lot of years) and at first I was pretty pleased with it but I've been a bit disappointed that the pics I've taken haven't been crisper/sharper.

A couple of years ago I bought a point and shoot Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom (3.2 mega pixels) and I went out today to do a test. I double shot a bunch of pics with boththe Olympus and theDL and copied them into a computer so thatIcould see how they compared.

Surprisingly the stuff shot with Olympus looksabout as good as the stuff shot with the Pentax (and given a little camera shake on the Pentax side- the Olympus wassometime better). So the first thing I'll admit is that some of it is me but I don't have the same results (camera shake that is) when I shoot with the same lenses and my K1000 film camera - yeah, I still do that.

So there's the rub. Future Shop has a 2 week return policy (I have a week left) and I'm thinking of returning the ist DL and waiting for the next generation from Pentax.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Nice site. Thanks for letting me in!

Tech Specs:

I tried a variety of ISO settings and some auto lenses and some manual lenses with varying shutter speeds. I used the 6.1 MP resolution (not raw) and the standard RGB colour space, with sharpness, saturation etc at default.

Camera: ist DL

Lenses: Tamron 90mm/macro - Pentax-m200mm - Vivitar 70 to 150mm zoom/macro - Pentax 40mm pancake lense and the 18 to 55 zoom that came with the DL.

The Olympus is a 3.2 MP, Point and Shoot with a 10X optical zoom. Itseems to shoot at ISO 64.

Thanks again; the Loop

looppeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:11 PM   #2

I own an Oly C720 and it is a nice point and shoot camera. I also own both the DS and DL. I have a hrd time with your statement, "I just bought a Pentax ist DL (I've been a Pentax shooter for a lot of years) and at first I was pretty pleased with it but I've been a bit disappointed that the pics I've taken haven't been crisper/sharper."

Here are some DL shots of a sunflower taken tonight. These have been converted from RAW to jpeg and resized--no sharpening at all.
Attached Images

Rickst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:12 PM   #3

They seem sharp to me (used the kit lens)
Attached Images

Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply Rickst.

I was hoping to try Raw today but didn't get to it. I've put it on the list for tomorrow (when I'll have a larger SD chip). Do you find much difference between Raw and the 6mp '3 star' setting?

Nice pics BTW. Sunflowers have always been a fave of mine. I should mention too that most of what I did today was the longer lense stuff. Tomorrow I'm hoping to do a little closer stuff before I head off to work. The days always seem to be too short.

Thanks again for responding... Loop
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:43 PM   #5

I have always shot at max res with RAW--I have a couple of 1 gig cards, so I can do over 180 shots before I have to quit.

I do use a tripod or monopod whenever possible (to prevent camera shake). If I can't use one, then I'll adjust the ISO to give me a faster shutter speed.

By the way, where you will really notice the difference in quality between your Oly and a DSLR is when you shoot at higher ISO settings--the DSLRs are much, much quieter due to the larger sensor.

Give your DL a chance--it takes a bit of practice to get used to shooting with a DSLR
Old Jul 11, 2006, 8:47 PM   #6

Here are some features of the Olympus C740 that were found in a review from this site.
  • 3.2-Megapixel resolution for 2048x1536 pixel native images and, up to 3200x2400 with Optimum Image Enlargement mode [/*]
  • Color EVF viewfinder with 180,000 pixels [/*]
  • 1.5-inch color Wide-View TFT LCD monitor [/*]
  • 1/1000 to 16 second shutter speeds [/*]
  • ISO auto or fixed at 100, 200 or 400 [/*]
  • xD-Picture Card storage [/*]
  • USB 1.1 "auto connect" connectivity [/*]
Compare those features to what the DL offers. I would think that that would be enough to make up your mind. Especially the ISO settings available on the DL. I'm sure ISO 400 on the Oly will be extremely noisy. The Olympus would make a good camera for carrying around when you don't want to or can't bring the DL gear with you. Hope this helps.

Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:04 PM   #7

Here is a relevant thread that deals with one aspect, the DSLR images usually need some fine tweaking to optimise them. This is because they are for more serious photogrphers who want to have more control over the final the image.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Secondly you menyioned camera shake with long lenses that is not apparent with the same lenses on your film body. Remember that the DL has 1.5 magnification factor on lenses so that they have alonger effective focal length.

So your 200mm lens functions as a 300mm lens on the DL, with all the implications for camera shake for the extra sensitivity for a 300mm lens compared to a 200mm lens. So the same lens will exhibit less camera ashake on the film body.

To reduce camera shake you can ramp up the ISO on your Pentax, I regularly use 800 for motorsport with long lense and a monopod because camera shake is a problem with long lenses.

Of course the ability to use all those lenses is another reason for owning a DSLR.

Phil
Attached Images

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:08 PM   #8

You had better be kidding. There is no way that your DL(particularly when paired with Tamron 100 macro , 40mm pancake and M 200) be less sharp than a point and shot. Maybe the kit lens under F8 then . You are an old time Pentaxian familiar with the primes. The statement you made is just outlandish I would call it.
Another suggestion made earlier: shoot in iso 400 for both cameras. And you will know .

Daniel ,Toronto
www.pbase.com/danieltong

looppeee wrote:
Quote:
Hi folks! This is my first post and I'm sorry but, I need some advice.

I just bought a Pentax ist DL (I've been a Pentax shooter for a lot of years) and at first I was pretty pleased with it but I've been a bit disappointed that the pics I've taken haven't been crisper/sharper.

A couple of years ago I bought a point and shoot Olympus C740 Ultra Zoom (3.2 mega pixels) and I went out today to do a test. I double shot a bunch of pics with boththe Olympus and theDL and copied them into a computer so thatIcould see how they compared.

Surprisingly the stuff shot with Olympus looksabout as good as the stuff shot with the Pentax (and given a little camera shake on the Pentax side- the Olympus wassometime better). So the first thing I'll admit is that some of it is me but I don't have the same results (camera shake that is) when I shoot with the same lenses and my K1000 film camera - yeah, I still do that.

So there's the rub. Future Shop has a 2 week return policy (I have a week left) and I'm thinking of returning the ist DL and waiting for the next generation from Pentax.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

P.S. Nice site. Thanks for letting me in!

Tech Specs:

I tried a variety of ISO settings and some auto lenses and some manual lenses with varying shutter speeds. I used the 6.1 MP resolution (not raw) and the standard RGB colour space, with sharpness, saturation etc at default.

Camera: ist DL

Lenses: Tamron 90mm/macro - Pentax-m200mm - Vivitar 70 to 150mm zoom/macro - Pentax 40mm pancake lense and the 18 to 55 zoom that came with the DL.

The Olympus is a 3.2 MP, Point and Shoot with a 10X optical zoom. Itseems to shoot at ISO 64.

Thanks again; the Loop
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:17 PM   #9

Rickst;

I was actually wondering if the higher ISO's were to blame for some of the noise I've noticed in the blacks but I read something about pictures should be evaluated on paper and not on monitors (I haven't been able to print any up yet - damn job!). As well, one of the things I liked about the specsof the DL was the larger sensor. Something else I need to check into is definitley doa couple of prints.

Tripod, yes, and practice... painfully evident today. / thanks.

Rufus;

Surpisingly the noisein the Olympus picsis fairly low (in the shadows) andI noticed that the ISO info is around 64 (auto setting) while the DL seems to want touse a higher ISO - 400 to 800 (in autosettings -in favour of shutter speed I guess) and is a bit noisy. I'll need to check if I've set something wrong but I was a bit surprised at that. I'll try to set the ISO lower but I expected the DL to be less noisy in the blacks - especially on the long shots.

Also, I'm not suggesting that the Olympus isan equal to the DL. I was using it for comparison only. I was surprised not that the Oly was so good, but rather that the DL with the extra 3 MP and better sensorwasn't a lot better. Hopefully it's something in the way I set it up.

Thanks for your thoughts... Loop
Old Jul 11, 2006, 9:27 PM   #10

Philneast;

Iwondered about the longer focal length and additional shake. That's one reason I was wondering about waiting afew weeks for the newer cameras with the anti-shake feature (since I don't always have a tripod around).

Having said that, there sure are a lot of people taking good pics with the DL which is why I'm trying to find out what you guys are doing that I'm not. I think practice is a big part of it too.

As to tweaking; unfortunately seems to be a necessary evil with all digital photography.

I check the link and thanks for the reply.

Nice pic BTW... Loop