Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:38 PM   #1

First off thanks for the posting on manual lenses with the DL I think I finally figured it out, though exposure sometimes surprises me on playback. But to sum it up the instructions I've read here have been helpful.

One question though regarding custom setting of the ae-l button. Do these settings program line, tv shift, and av shift have any effect on a manual lens or just automatic lenses?

About me, first Pentax was a K2. I loved that camera. Then a couple others over the years, but this is the first digital slr. Still learning the tricks. thanks again for all the info out here.
Joliet Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 1:45 AM   #2

Jim - I'm not sure I totally understand what your asking, but I use my manual lenses in the M position (I set everything to M or Manual). You set the aperture on the lens, to say f8 and then press the shutter half way. This activates the meter, then press the ae-l button and it sets the shutter speed according to the light meter reading and what you have the lens stopped down too. Lets say it sets it at 200. I then open the aperture, focus and stop down say 4 clicks to f8 then shoot.

One more trick. I have my preview set to show histogram for 3 seconds. After I shoot, I automatically look at the preview screen and if the histogram is about right, good. If it's to dark or light I reset and shoot again, maybe at f11 or f5.6. I also have the highlights set to flash if too bright, so I can get quite a bit of exposureinformation from a quick glance at the preview screen after the shot. This may all sound like a lot of work, but it becomes second nature after awhile, just as shooting with a K1000 was years back. It sounds complicated, but it is a simple routine you go through and after awhile the pictures start looking better. Just remember the camera is a tool that can do a lot of things once you learn how it works and from some of the pictures I see posted on this forum, it works pretty well- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 3:51 AM   #3

I use fully manual lenses this way (following the instructions in the manual).

Always M mode. Manual lenses without the "A" setting doesn't work in Av or Tv.

Choose aperture with the ring on the lens. Turn the shutter release button to the right, and get a DOF preview (the aperture stops down). Now, in the viewfinder, to the rightyou can also see an indication of over- or underexposure (-3to +3). Change the exposure time with the e-dial or the aperture with the ring on the lens to get the right exposure. Let go of the DOF preview, focus at full apertureand Click! there's your picture. I never use the AE-L button.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:52 AM   #4

Kjell - I have one question? When you "focus at full aperture and click", did you mean focus at full aperture, stop down and click. I like your way of watching the exposure compensation in the viewfinder. It would be easy to turn the aperture and zerothe meter,then click. I am interpeting this as what you meant,but wanted to make sure I have it. This sounds better then using the AE-L button, at least inmany situations where a small adjustment may help. You can see with the preview lever right were your meter is set just before you click. This is the nice thing about this forum, everyone has a tip to share- Bruce
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:58 AM   #5

Yes, focus at full aperture and press the button. The camera will stop down to your chosen aperture at exposure, if you have selected "Allow aperture ring" in the menu. I'm not sure if this works with screw mount lenses and adapter, I don't have any such lenses. Try it, you'll like it!

Kjell
Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:07 PM   #6

Kjell - I can confirm that you must stop the aperture ring down on M42 screwmount lenses before you click. It does not stop down unless you reset the aperture ring after you focus at full aperture. Maybe this is what they mean by some functions are limited on screwmount lenses. It is only one more step you need to do, otherwise it works the same as you said- Bruce
Old Jul 12, 2006, 5:15 PM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Yes, focus at full aperture and press the button. The camera will stop down to your chosen aperture at exposure, if you have selected "Allow aperture ring" in the menu. I'm not sure if this works with screw mount lenses and adapter, I don't have any such lenses. Try it, you'll like it!

Kjell
Maybe I misunderstood. You set the aperture you want with the ring. When you look through the viewfinder, you will see through full aperture, no matter what the ring is set to,till you turn the shutter release button to DOF preview. When you turnit the lens stops down and you can do your metering and set the exposure. As you let it go, the lens opens upagain to full aperture, and focussingis easier. Don't touch the ring! And finally, when you press the shutterbutton, the lensautomatically stops down to what you have set the ring to andthe camera takes the photo. Maybe this clarification was unnecessary, but it's late and I'm going to bed:?!

Kjell
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:51 PM   #8

The screwmounts used a pin that goes in and out, where as the K mount uses a lever that moves up and down. The problem is there is no mechanism in the *ist to push in and out, only up and down like in the k mounts. If you get a chance to look at an old screwmount you will see what I mean. Thats why you have to work the aperture manually. If I am wrong on this, I hope someone can set me straight, but so far I have not been able to figure out any way to get the camera to operate the aperture blades ofa screwmount lens- Bruce