Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 11, 2006, 10:03 PM   #1

Pentax is known for probably having the best viewfinders around due to their use of pentaprisms instead of mirrors (sorry, DL users). However, my DS pentaprism has acquired a "spot". I can see a white speck on the bottom of the prism when looking into the body. I've tried to remove it with a cotton swab and some alchohol, to no avail. The prism is glass, right? I know to be careful not to touch the sensor and mirror, but how "aggressive" can I be in trying to remove this from the bottom of he prism? I know the speck won't affect the images, but I do have to look past it every time. It's more of a nuisance. Any suggestions as far as cleaning methods, solvents, etc?
pentax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:14 PM   #2

Have you tried a baby's nasal aspirator??? That's what I use to clean mine out after every use just to blow out the dust and whatnots.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:17 PM   #3

I believe what you see is the focus screen, not the prisim and it is plastic not glass so be careful what you dab in it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 11:30 PM   #4

Ron-

Yeah, I tried the aspirator first, but whatever this is it is stuck on there good.

Tom-

You're right. Theredoes appear to be a screen beneath the prism. Thanks for the warning.
Old Jul 12, 2006, 7:10 AM   #5
TDN

What you could try is take out the focusing screen, clean it, and put it back in.

Here's a manual on how to do it on a MX (got it from Ira), it's the same procedure on a DS/DL

http://tdn9.be/mx_screens_s.pdf

Be very careful though, so you dont scratch/damage/or brighten or lighten the screen with any chemicals though. Your AF sensors are behind this screen, so it needs to be "spot on".
Best not to touch it with your fingers either.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:14 AM   #6

DO NOT USE ALCHOHOL ON THE FOCUSING SCREEN.

A new screen from Pentax costs about $50 (guess how I know that). Remove the screen as directed and gently blow everything clean with a bulb blower (no canned air), including the prism housing and look through the viewfinder before re-assembling to see if you got everything out of there. If there is somethig stuck to the screen, gently prod it with a camel hair lens brush or hold it by the edges only under some gently running warm tap water and blow it dry with the bulb.

Everything in this area of the camera is VERY fragile and should not be touched by anything but air.

Good luck,
Lou
derbunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice. The spot has been successfully removed! It was between the focusing screen and the prism. No wonder it wouldn't come off.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:40 PM   #8

Do you use the aspirator to suck-up the dirt or blow air into the camera cavity.

I was thinking of getting a bellows foot pump - what do you think?
Attached Images

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote