Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

Hey folks.

Couldn't resist picking up an ist DL from Beachcamera last week when it was $466. I've only owned P&S cameras up until this point, but I've borrowed and experimented with SLRs from various friends and family over the past year or two. At <$400 with the rebate I absolutely couldn't resist jumping into an entry level DSLR. I had been considering getting another P&S like a Canon S2, but this was a no brainer.

I'm thinking of picking up a fast lens like the FA 50mm f/1.4 and either a general purpose walk-around lens that covers moderately wide to moderate telephoto or something like a 50-200mm to extend the telephoto range past that of the kit lens.

Does anyone have any experience with the FA J 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 or FA 28-90mm f/3.5-5.6 as general purpose lenses? They seem to be relatively cheap but I don't know if that means they may have compromises such as slow/noisy AF, relative softness, or something else.

I've only had it for a few days so I still have lots to learn but I'm enjoying the process so far! A few sample pics to follow.
Bullhonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:10 PM   #2

Our (old old) dog Bentley. He's a MinPin/MinDaschund mix.
Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:12 PM   #3

Just makes you go 'Awwwwww'.
Attached Images

Old Jul 12, 2006, 10:44 PM   #4

HI and welcome to the Forum

Great pictures BTW.

The FA-50 1.4 is a Great portait lense, I have it here and it does a Great job. I am currently TRYING to save my pennys for the 31MM1.8 Limited lense or one of the new Pentax 2.8 Zooms.

I have no experiance with Either of the lenses that you Mention, But i can reccommend the FA-28-105 3.2-4.5. It stays on My Camera 90% of the Time.

Again welcome
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:33 PM   #5

Definitely, aaahh - cute elderly fellow! Nice pics for a new owner - nice pics for anyone.

I have an M 50mm 1.4. It's a nice lens, but a bit soft at 1.4. Stop it down a bit and its very nice, I thought it wasvery slightlybetter than my M 50mm 1.7 at f8 and foxcused at infinity (there's a thread here where I posted pictures). If the 1.4 is too dear for you, take a look at the 1.7.

I use the DA 50-200 mostly and love it! I won't say that it is as sharp as the F 70-210 lens I used to have (which died so I can't compare it) but it seems as sharp as I remember the old one was. I don't have any experience with your other two lenses.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote