Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:01 PM   #11

dms25 wrote:
Quote:
I can definitely second Roy's recommendation of the vivitar 105mm having recently got one myself. It takes absolutely stunning photographs once you get used to its weight and they do seem to appear reasonably frequently on the likes of e bay. It also just happens to take stunning potraits as well.

Whatever you do finally settle on though you'll find your eyes opened up to a whole new world of little things. My dogs clearly think I've lost my mind crawling arround on all fours looking for things to take.

Dom
yep,yep,yep--- fantastic lens
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:03 PM   #12

robar wrote:
Quote:
now i've got another 85$ in the paypal (or should i say LBA) account..
Does it mean I should be happy for getting it for free? :blah:

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:08 PM   #13

Wow, I never expected so many replies so soon and with such great advice. Thanks to all of you. Well, I didn't mention in my original post that I have the Pentax 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses coming with the *ist DL. I didn't even realize that they could do macro work! I'll check out the eBay auctions you researched, robar. You went way above and beyond the call of duty there! I loved all your photos too. Robar, your up close shots w/ a 105mm were awesome. That is what I like - really close with lots of detail. I want to see those bugger's eyes and the hair on their bellies!!! LOL. Which 105mm macro lens did you use, though?

I was also looking at another eBay auction for a Lester Dine (Kiron) 105mm K mount. Here is the link for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

It's heavy, but from what I have read, it has a great reputation, and was originally designed for use in dentistry. Will it fit the DL? What do you think of this lens for macro work? The bid is only at $81.00 right now.

Please keep the replies coming. I appreciate them all. I may not be able to reply for awhile because today is my birthday () and I don't want to spend it online all day obsessing about macro lenses. BUT.....................it would be fine and dandy to end up buying a nice macro lens or bidding on one as a birthday present to myself.

Best regards to everyone,
Justinian

Edit: I forgot to mention my budget. Well, I would rather not spend more than $250-300, if possible. When I saw one of those eBay listings for $1500, I thought I better edit this post!!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:11 PM   #14

On the cheap - get extension rings or a reversing ring. I used extension rings for a while with a 50A1.7 and found them cost effective. I also used the rings with a 200M4 on a tripod and got some really sharp results. Eventually, I opted for the FA100/2.8 macro. It isincredibly sharp butis heavy (almost twice the DFA version). I find it quite versatile and use it as a medium telephoto as well. It is cheaper than the DFA version but, with the recent rebate, that gap isn't what it used to be.

If you expect to do a lot of macro work, I recommend the DFAversion of the 100/2.8 macro from a price/features standpoint (I haven't used it and can't comment on the optics, I've only used the FA version - great optics).

I don't have much experience with non-Pentax lensesand can't comment on Pentax vs Tamron vs Vivitar macros.

RG
Rob22315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:23 PM   #15

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
I may not be able to reply for awhile because today is my birthday ()

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:24 PM   #16

Roy

Just how did you persuade that ant to stay still long enough to get that great shot? I've just spent over an hour trying to get some baby frogs (fingernail size) hopping their way back to the woods from the pond where they were born. Not one of the forty odd I've taken is good enough to post, unless that is someone wants a master class in how not to take a little frog.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:35 PM   #17

This one very tempting for the price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VIVITAR-90mm-f2-...QQcmdZViewItem

Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:35 PM   #18

justin, the lester dine and the vivitar 105 are one in the same. it's a GREAT! lens. you would never feel let down with it.

dom, name of the game in macros is-- PATIENCE!

off camera flash does wonders too.

roy
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:37 PM   #19

justin, that 200mm f4 pentax macro is legendary. with 200usd you can get many great macro lenses on ebay.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 1:42 PM   #20

Thanks robar. One of the lenses you recommended in your eBay listings is the Tamron 90mm. They are on sale here brand new: the older version (like the on listed on eBay) sells for $199.99, and the newer Di version sells for $329.99.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Pro...3?sck=10180562

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/Pro...m?sck=10180562

But either that Lester Dine or Vivitar, for so much less money, even if used, is luring me. The Vivitar is "Buy it Now" for only $60.00!! Is this a no-brainer or what? Or is the Tamron a better lens for $199? Is the Tamron Di much better for an additional $130.00?????