Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:09 PM   #21

200usd is a great price. i'd get it. never heard of the store and can't find it at resellers.com..

my rings just arrived and it's too hot to go outside.

let us know,
roy
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:35 PM   #22

Yeah! I just bought the TAMRON SP 90MM F2.8 AF MACRO 1:1 LENS brand new for $199.99 + $25.00 UPS Ground. :|
Happy Birthday Justinian!! Now I am all set with the DL camera and three great lenses. What else do I need??? A bag to hold it all, right? Any recommendations about that, something that can hold all three lenses and the camera? Thanks for all your help with this.
BTW, I have been to the great state of Texas many times and I love Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. But man, it gets HOT there during the summer. It's humid here in Connecticut, but only about 82 degrees.

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:40 PM   #23

Damn, I'm almost tempted to get that $60 macro lens myself... Haha... I don't even have my camera yet, won't be shipped til monday. But I already have thoughts of macro shots with my camera. That cheap lens is very tempting. No one has given their thoughts on that lens yet... Anyone?
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:50 PM   #24

Hi MadMikeSS,
Yes, read the earlier posts in this thread from robar and others. They think it's a fantastic lens. I would have gone with it, but I prefer something lighter and the Tamron fit the bill.

Justinian
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 3:57 PM   #25

Ah.. I read through the thread and must have missed it. I didn't think anyone responded about that particular lens. Maybe I'll jump on it.. Have to decide later...
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:11 PM   #26

As was mentioned earlier on, I got the Phoenix 100mm macro lens and love it. I didn't want to lug around the extra weight of the older Vivitar, and my 80-200 Kiron macro lens was just a bit soft for my tastes.

For an inexpensive lens, the Phoenix is very sharp. While it is an FA lens, you can't use AF for macro stuff. However I'm really glad I got the FA model because I use it when I hike for most things (then take a 24mm for wide angle). It works out very well for me, and it's better made than some assume - it's just really light-weight plastic and seems to be holding up quite well with being dragged around every day.

I made an extension tube out of a poor 2X Teleconverter and used that for a while. It just seemed to be a bit too much work for me, and you do lose some light (the on-board flash helps with that), and the pictures I took seemed a bit too soft. It didn't cost me anything and I was happy to have the experience without putting money down. If nothing else, it served to convince me that a macro lens was the way I wanted to go.

I'll post 2 pictures I've taken with it. Bear in mind that I'm not a very good at this - these guys are the experts. They were both taken in a botanical garden near where I work.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:24 PM   #27

Second one - by the way, I've resized these at work and used Microsoft Office Picture Manager - I only have CS2 at home, and looking at the first one, I would NOT recommend using it to do much of anything with your photos! This one has been cropped as well as resized twice.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 4:35 PM   #28

if you are talking about this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/VIVITAR-90mm-f2-...QQcmdZViewItem

then it's not a series1 but it is a very fine macro. you would not be unhappy at all. don't know about what the modifications are but for 70usd i think you'd be happy..

roy
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:13 PM   #29

Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. It would probably work out nicely for some of the close up stuff that I need to take for computer hardware reviews.
Old Jul 13, 2006, 5:41 PM   #30

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
Happy Birthday Justinian!! Now I am all set with the DL camera and three great lenses. What else do I need??? A bag to hold it all, right?
Happy Birthday Justinian!!

Well, of course you'll need a bag to hold it. And then of course a flash, and a fast lens like the FA 50 mm 1.4 for when you can't use the flash, and then it would be nice with a real tele like 400 mm and a teleconverter to make it twice as long..., and then it would be nice with a few extra memory cards and a portable harddrive and a tripod and that backpack for hiking and... then is when your struck by the feared LBA...:-)

Happy birthday!!!!
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote