Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:18 PM   #31

let me see if i can add to kjell's post with some necessities.

batteries w/charger/ get a maha
definately an ac/dc converter
bag, what i got worked great for 3 lenses and body, lowepro ex160. course that was before LBA.
monopod
a couple of heads for it and the tripod
lenspen
filters, UV(0) for the 3 lenses. don't get the (n)
stepup rings for the 77mm polarizing filter so you can use it on any lens you'll get in the forseeable future
card reader, i've done without
usb2 card
OH, most definately a high end photo printer

have fun,
roy hehe:blah:

edit: don't forget the lens hood for the CP.. you'll need it..

Old Jul 13, 2006, 7:17 PM   #32

this guy has a legend for sell. a vivitar 90mm f2.5. he says it's for nikon by mistake in his description. i've emailed him and gotten assurances that it's a pentax K mount..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...DME:L:RTQ:US:1
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:11 PM   #33

Hey Justin ...First off .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope by this time you're out enjoying being young! Second, if you really do need a bag, I just upgraded my Tamron Expedition 3 to a nice big bag that I found on Ebay (of course!) It's big enough for my 500mm, 300mm, 28-80, kit lens & dl + there's a zippered pocket for all the whatnots. Well, its a nice bag for the price!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apollo-Camera-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Roy, how close to the ant were you for that shot??? All of this talk of macro has got me interested in getting one also>:G

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 9:54 PM   #34

ron,
the viv 105 focuses at about 12'' from the cam body to the subject. lens is about 8'' long, so i'd say the front of the lens is about 3-4'' from the subject.

roy
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:16 AM   #35

I bought the Vivitar lens on ebay for $70 and I have some tiger lillies starting to bloom one by one in my backyard... Will have to test the camera and lens on those when they arrive.

MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 1:39 AM   #36

Congrats on your purchase! I am now looking at carrying cases. The one that wadue recommended - Apollo - http://cgi.ebay.com/Apollo-Camera-Backpack-Bagmodeled-after-Lowepro-Trekker_W0QQitemZ220005156652QQihZ012QQcategoryZ50 507QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
looks great, but does it allow for a tripod to be carried on the outside like these models from Tamrac:

Expedition 3:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3AIT&rd=1

Expedition 4:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMRAC-EXPEDITIO...QQcmdZViewItem

Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II: (similar to the less expensive Apollo)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MakeTrack=true

Of these four, I like the Apollo and the Expedition 3 or 4 best. What do you guys think? The bag will hold the DL + three or four lenses for now, and I'd like to attach a tripod to the back, as pictured in the Expedition series. If the Apollo can handle that, then it is a no-brainer. Thanks all!!
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 4:14 AM   #37

gawd, i just love spending other people's money. who would have known you could do this 10 years ago????

roy
Old Jul 14, 2006, 6:07 AM   #38

Hey Justin, I always keep my Cobra 230 tripod (which is a shorty...extends to about 2') on the Apollo. My longer tripod is a Promaster 6200 (extends to about 6') & I put a shotgun sling on it to carry it on my shoulder, but I guess if you wanted to, you could put it on the Apollo also. The bag might be a little big but you would have room to grow into it. Don't get me wrong, The Tamrac is also a great bag but I recently got that Sigma 500mm lens & the SIgma ef500 st flash & they take up some room in a bag! I looked at tamrac's & lowepro's & couldn't find any of those (used) for under $200. I think I got that Apollo for $65 (w/ship) & it's water resistant cordura so hopefully it'll last for a couple years!
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 8:22 AM   #39

ok
after reading through all this and now being just a little confused
is there somewhere a list of Pentax suitable macros ?
and possibly notes on quality?
i wouldnt mind a macro
it sure would help if i had a list when i go looking

or did i miss it in this thread somewhere ?

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 10:54 AM   #40

G'day & thanks for chiming in. So you want a list? I like lists too. It helps to keep matters clear and above all, organized. I wish I could say the same about the state of my office. But I digress...on to your list, which will also help others who check out this very fun thread. The recommended macro lenses are (in no particular order):

PENTAX-SMC D FA Macro 50mm F2.8 1:1
PENTAX-SMC D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 1:1
PENTAX SMC 50-200mm DA
TAMRON SP Macro 90mm F2.8 AF - or the newer, more expensive version Di.
PENTAX SMC Takumar 100 mm f4 screwmount macro
PENTAX SMC-M 100 mm f4
VIVITAR 90mm f2.8 MACRO LENS FOR 'K' MOUNT BODIES
VIVITAR 105mm f
LESTER DINE (Kiron) 105mm K mount
PHOENIX 100mm macro

There you go. I think I got most of them. Sorry if the font are not identical because I had to cut and paste them in and the fonts would not change. Unless you're like "Monk" you won't mind that.

Cheers,
Justinian

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote