Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:12 PM   #1

just purchased this lens today for my DL.

http://www.pentaxslr.com/lenses/lens_50_F14

how come when i set the aperature manually it won't let me take a picture?

The "AV" on the display just blinks.

It will only let me take a picture when i set the aperature digitally.

please advise.

thanks.
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:36 PM   #2

One thought is that the exposure is wrong - you have the aperture set at 1.4 in bright light and the 4000 shutter speed isn't fast enough to not over-expose the picture (I've tried to do that accidentally a couple of times). If you are shooting manually, it will allow you to take the picture regardless (as I know WELL from using manual lenses and forgetting to meter).

Second thought comes to mind- the only FA lens I own is the Phoenix, so I don't have much experience. However, it seems to me that it works just like a manual lens when you move the aperture ring off of the A setting. If you try to use the lens in Av mode without the aperture set to A, the camera won't stop down the lens - you'll be shooting wide open. If you want to use the aperture ring to set the aperture, you have to use the M mode. At least I'm pretty sure that's how my Phoenix works (only did that once, accidentally. I've used Av mode a couple of times with the 24 2.8 lens in low light- saves me from forgetting to meter).

Anyone else have a suggestion?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 10:56 PM   #3

is this a good portrait lens?
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4

Yes the FA 50 1.4 Is a great portrait lense.

I am Not sure on the DL. However on the DS, in order to use the aperature ring you must go into the custom settings on the Camera and tell it to allow the aperature ring To Work.

Just a thought
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2006, 12:06 AM   #5

And as Mtngal says, you must leave it in the "A" position and set the aperture from the body. Or "Allow aperture ring" in the menu, set the aperture with the ring and use it in manual mode only. But I can see no point in doing it that way.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:49 PM   #6

I use M lenses so I have no choice but to use it with the aperture ring... Make sure you go into custom functions and set "using aperture ring" to "allowed". Then while in M mode you can set the aperture to what you want and press the AE-L button and it will set the shutter speed to whatever it thinks is correct, just like Av mode(note this also works with the aperture ring in the A position). Dont forget to keep pressing the AE-L button whenever the light changes though. I actually prefer using M mode this way compared to the DA lenses where I have to hold down the Av/+- button to adjust my aperture, I wouldnt mind having two controls wheels like on the D.

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
And as Mtngal says, you must leave it in the "A" position and set the aperture from the body. Or "Allow aperture ring" in the menu, set the aperture with the ring and use it in manual mode only. But I can see no point in doing it that way.

Kjell
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 1:58 PM   #7

Let see, I'm not quite clear over what your problem is, so forgive me if I explain something that is obvius to you.

If your lenshas the A setting on the aperture ring, always use that and never change aperture on the lens itself. If it's an older lens, without the A, then it's another story. If you use the ring on the lens it will always expose at maximum aperture (giving a shallow DOF) in Av or Tv mode. Only M mode works with the ring.

To get more DOF, you need to stop down the aperture. It can be done in at least three ways:

Put the mode dial (upper left) in Av mode.Turn the e-dial, and check how the aperture changes (you can see the aperture value change in theviewfinder or the LCD panel. The exposure time will also change to keep the exposure right, but if you point the camera in another directionthe aperture will remain the same and the exposure time will change due to changing lighting.

Put the mode dial in Tvmode. Turn the e-dial. Now the exposure time will be set and the aperture value will change due to lighting conditions.

Put the mode dial in M mode. Turn the e-dial,and you will see theexposure time (underlined in theviewfinder) change while the aperture value doesn't. At the right you will also see if the setting will give you under- or overexposure (-3 up to +3).

If you now want to change the aperture (in M mode), just press the Av button (just behind the shutter release button) and you will se how the aperture value gets underlined in the viwfinder, and now is the value that changes if you turn the e-dial.

Hope this was the information you needed. A rather extensive explanation, i learnt all of it by reading the manual.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote