Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 14, 2006, 2:47 PM   #1

Just ordered this lens from Beachcamera where I purchased my DL kit last week. With the reviews that I have found, it seems like this is a darn good lens. I would have bought the Pentax DA 50 - 200 but it costs $80 more delivered after rebate and it seems like the 28 - 200 would be a better walk around travel lens except for the lack of a real wide angle. Now with my Ebay bought Pentax SMC A 50 1.7 I think I have a good starting combination of lenses at an after rebate price with the DL of $521. What a deal

Next up: the Sigma EF-500 DG ST flash, but this may have to wait awhile.

Bob F
rmfuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 5:41 PM   #2

I've been debating between that Tamron 28-200 and the Pentax DA 50-200 as well. And I too am leaning towards the Tamron because of its relatively low price, wider focal length for greater flexibility as a general walkaround lens, and all of the sample pics I've seen show it to be pretty good.

Anyone have any personal experience with both these lenses that would be willing to share their thoughts?
Bullhonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:45 PM   #3

I found some reviews for this lens:

From Shutterbug.net:
http://www.shutterbug.net/test_reports/1201sb_tamron/
"The Tamron designers have achieved what some others had considered impossible. They created a wide range zoom lens in an amazingly small/lightweight package with competitive performance and excellent close focusing ability. The optical and mechanical innovations certainly deserve the accolades they have already received. If you're interested in versatility and maximum portability, do check out this new Tamron zoom. The combination of its many features, unique construction, plus satisfying image quality should keep this lens on the best seller list for years to come."

From Fredmiranda.com:
Build Quality Rating 8.5
Price Rating 9.5 (when avg price was $175)
Overall Rating 8.5

Popphoto.com:
http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-56-xr-af.html
"Yes, smaller-zoom-ratio or fixed-focal-length lenses may be optically superior, but this is a winner in the 28—200mm, do-it-all zoom category. For convenience, compactness, and lightness, Tamron easily leads this race by a mile or so, although other lenses may prove optically superior or provide closer focusing at certain focal lengths and apertures."

The lens was reviewed in 2001 so it has been around for a while.

rmfuke is offline   Reply With Quote