Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 15, 2006, 12:59 PM   #1

Hi Everyone, Justinian here. Now that the macro lens issue has been settled, I'd like to begin adding one or two other lenses to my DSLR kit, along w/ a flash and tripod. Here is my present equipment:

Pentax *ist DL w/ Pentax 18-55mm F4-5.6ED lens
Pentax 50-200mm F3.5-5.6 AL
Tamron SP 90MM F2.8 AF Macro 1:1 for Pentax *ist DS DL
Tamrac Model 5747 Velocity 7 Photo Sling Backpack

OK, so far, so good. When looking at the lenses I already have, if I had to add JUST ONE or TWO more, which would you recommend: a prime lens 50mm (or more) F1.7? Tamron 28-300mm or something else? Of the lenses I already have, which would be best as a "walk around lens?" Would someone also recommend a good (but not outrageously expensive) flash and a sturdy tripod? Thanks!

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 2:06 PM   #2

this is what i use. got it for 33usd delivered, shipping was 18 so my bid was pretty low. i did get the first one i bid on. i had a limited total of $33 tops.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNATRAN-PROFESS...QQcmdZViewItem

i'd suggest a pan/tilt head. i've got a ballhead and they always do a little drop when you set them.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 2:07 PM   #3

their 828 is even better

you can ck their other items here..

http://stores.ebay.com/amvona-com

roy

Old Jul 15, 2006, 2:38 PM   #4

sorry for multiple posts, but...
i recently ordered the sigma 500 DG super for flash use. it'll work P-TTL on the DL.
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...mp;navigator=1
it's little brother the ST is the same flash but without the bells and whistles. i got the super because it'll do high speed flash sync
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...mp;navigator=1

there're about
super = $213+
ST = 140

there are none on ebay and i've done the research for these. least expensive i've found is sigma4less
everywhere i found them cheaper you just don't want to buy from them. cost me 228 delivered. also beware of promises of TTL. i se on ebay ALL the time the sellers saying their flash will work with the DL . bottom line they will not. they are only TTL models and the DL does not recognize TTL flashes. only P-TTL.. why pentax did this to the DL is beyound me..
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:41 PM   #5

Thanks robar,
I bid on the tripod on eBay, but will hold off on the flash for now. What do you think about this lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-28-300mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

It sounds great for the price, but I have the 18-55mm and 50-200mm, and the Tamron 90mm macro. Do I really need this? Which is best for all around everyday use? I like the telephoto zoom on this Tamron, though! Or is it better to purchase a fixed lense telephot?? (More $$$$, I bet!)
How about this one?
Vivitar 100-400mm f/4.5-6.7 AF

Justinian

Old Jul 15, 2006, 8:44 PM   #6

wish you would not post in yellow. it's impossible to read. ck this thread.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

you've got a great range with the lenses you have. if you want the reach of a 300 then buy a prime. 28-300 is asking too much of a lens design.
i've been real happy with my 858b from amvona, ck out their tripods w/pan/tilt heads..when bidding on ebay items that are always there just be patient and don't get in a biddig frenzy.. thekman recently sold a set of ext. tubes for $48+shipping. i got the exact item 2 days earlier for $15.50 delivered. i've seen the smc-A70-210 f4 go for $227 before shipping, a rediculous price. i sold ira(monza) one of these for $45 delivered and felt good at making $9 off the deal. set a price and let it go if the item goes higher.

roy
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:34 PM   #7

Thanks for the link. I had no idea that you could change the background color or that my yellow font could not be easily read. When I preview my post in yellow, it shows up as very clear against a black background. I think I'll try the blue default2 for awhile. You have been a great help robar. I am mulling over lens decisions.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 11:42 PM   #8

Justinian

I have to agree with robar. The lenses you List are Great To start out With.

As to the tripod-I have a Slik Pro700 and i love it. For the Flash i picked up a Sigma EF-500 DG ST, Like robar said It just minus a Few items i felt i did not need.

As for a walk around lense I use a Pentax FA-28-105MM F3.2-4.5. I found that this lense handles 90% of the Shots i take.
I still have the kit lense, but i just dont use it. For long range i have a Sigma 70-300MM and for portrait work a Pentax FA-50.14 And for bird Shots i also have a 1.4X tele converter(still trying To get that Right).
I have seen Several Posters in this forum that use the 50-200as their walkaround lense.

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:12 AM   #9

Justinian wrote:
Quote:

It sounds great for the price, but I have the 18-55mm and 50-200mm, and the Tamron 90mm macro. Do I really need this?
Justinian, what you need is food and shelter. LBA is not about need, it's about crave! Give in and enjoy!:|

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:26 AM   #10

Justinian-

The Tamron 28-300mm XR lens is a good lens, but keep in mind that it is also a slow lens. It is certainly not a low light levels lens. However, it does duplicate a lot of the coverage that you now own. Beach Camera also has that lens for about the same price.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote