Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:27 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,321
Default

Great shots...nice and sharp and good detail. You are obviously getting better results on your Sigma 70-300 than I am (ref. my posting of the humming bird):sad:. Are you shooting at 300mm or some focal length <300mm? My Sigma does great in macro mode, but apparently no so in the normal zoom mode.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:38 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
bilybianca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hassleholm, Sweden
Posts: 3,435
Default

Alison, when I look at your dragonflies I can't but wonder why you ask about how to get sharp images!:?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:45 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Hastings UK
Posts: 70
Default

Alison

Sigma market two versions of their 70-300 over here. both are f4-f5.6 but one is a plain DG the other is a DG APO (with a red band / stripe around the lens. The former typically retails for about £100.00 over here the latter for around about £160.00- £170.00.

Which ever of the two you have it's clearly superb when combined with the dl2.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:53 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 411
Default

dms25 wrote:
Quote:
Alison

Sigma market two versions of their 70-300 over here. both are f4-f5.6 but one is a plain DG the other is a DG APO (with a red band / stripe around the lens. The former typically retails for about £100.00 over here the latter for around about £160.00- £170.00.

Which ever of the two you have it's clearly superb when combined with the dl2.

Dom
I paid £100 for mine from the London Camera Exchange if that's any help, dfinitely think it must be the DG, you would think I would know more about this stuff wouldn't you! lol!

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:54 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 411
Default

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Alison, when I look at your dragonflies I can't but wonder why you ask about how to get sharp images!:?

Kjell
Not all my shots are as sharp and when I looked at yours, they just seemed so spot on.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:55 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 411
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Great shots...nice and sharp and good detail. You are obviously getting better results on your Sigma 70-300 than I am (ref. my posting of the humming bird):sad:. Are you shooting at 300mm or some focal length <300mm? My Sigma does great in macro mode, but apparently no so in the normal zoom mode.
Umm, not quite sure what you mean here, sorry to be dumb but can you explain please? (I will take it on board and learn from it, honest)

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:01 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Wingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG
Posts: 4,321
Default

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Great shots...nice and sharp and good detail. You are obviously getting better results on your Sigma 70-300 than I am (ref. my posting of the humming bird):sad:. Are you shooting at 300mm or some focal length <300mm? My Sigma does great in macro mode, but apparently no so in the normal zoom mode.
Umm, not quite sure what you mean here, sorry to be dumb but can you explain please? (I will take it on board and learn from it, honest)

Alison
OK, what I mean is, are you shooting at the maxmagnification (300 mm) vs. some intermediate level? My Sigma tends to show fuzziness at the maximum magnification. Roy suggested shooting at a lower magnifciation (lower zoom) and I got some better results. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:39 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 411
Default

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
OK, what I mean is, are you shooting at the maxmagnification (300 mm) vs. some intermediate level? My Sigma tends to show fuzziness at the maximum magnification. Roy suggested shooting at a lower magnifciation (lower zoom) and I got some better results. Jay
Ah right, I thought that was probably what you meant. I never check to see what magnification it's at to be honest, I think Roy is probably right in suggesting using a lower zoom though, I think it depends on how close you are physically to your subject to a degree as well and what the lighting is like, I find poorer lighting tends to give a softer image.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:10 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
ennacac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 4,198
Default

I love the color in the first one, and the sharpness of the second dragon fly!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:25 AM.