Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:27 AM   #11

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great shots...nice and sharp and good detail. You are obviously getting better results on your Sigma 70-300 than I am (ref. my posting of the humming bird):sad:. Are you shooting at 300mm or some focal length <300mm? My Sigma does great in macro mode, but apparently no so in the normal zoom mode.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:38 AM   #12

Alison, when I look at your dragonflies I can't but wonder why you ask about how to get sharp images!:?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 9:45 AM   #13

Alison

Sigma market two versions of their 70-300 over here. both are f4-f5.6 but one is a plain DG the other is a DG APO (with a red band / stripe around the lens. The former typically retails for about £100.00 over here the latter for around about £160.00- £170.00.

Which ever of the two you have it's clearly superb when combined with the dl2.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:53 PM   #14

dms25 wrote:
Quote:
Alison

Sigma market two versions of their 70-300 over here. both are f4-f5.6 but one is a plain DG the other is a DG APO (with a red band / stripe around the lens. The former typically retails for about £100.00 over here the latter for around about £160.00- £170.00.

Which ever of the two you have it's clearly superb when combined with the dl2.

Dom
I paid £100 for mine from the London Camera Exchange if that's any help, dfinitely think it must be the DG, you would think I would know more about this stuff wouldn't you! lol!

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:54 PM   #15

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Alison, when I look at your dragonflies I can't but wonder why you ask about how to get sharp images!:?

Kjell
Not all my shots are as sharp and when I looked at yours, they just seemed so spot on.

Alison
Old Jul 16, 2006, 3:55 PM   #16

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Great shots...nice and sharp and good detail. You are obviously getting better results on your Sigma 70-300 than I am (ref. my posting of the humming bird):sad:. Are you shooting at 300mm or some focal length <300mm? My Sigma does great in macro mode, but apparently no so in the normal zoom mode.
Umm, not quite sure what you mean here, sorry to be dumb but can you explain please? (I will take it on board and learn from it, honest)

Alison
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:01 PM   #17

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Umm, not quite sure what you mean here, sorry to be dumb but can you explain please? (I will take it on board and learn from it, honest)

Alison
OK, what I mean is, are you shooting at the maxmagnification (300 mm) vs. some intermediate level? My Sigma tends to show fuzziness at the maximum magnification. Roy suggested shooting at a lower magnifciation (lower zoom) and I got some better results. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:39 PM   #18

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
OK, what I mean is, are you shooting at the maxmagnification (300 mm) vs. some intermediate level? My Sigma tends to show fuzziness at the maximum magnification. Roy suggested shooting at a lower magnifciation (lower zoom) and I got some better results. Jay
Ah right, I thought that was probably what you meant. I never check to see what magnification it's at to be honest, I think Roy is probably right in suggesting using a lower zoom though, I think it depends on how close you are physically to your subject to a degree as well and what the lighting is like, I find poorer lighting tends to give a softer image.

Alison
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:10 PM   #19

I love the color in the first one, and the sharpness of the second dragon fly!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote