Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:31 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

After months of waiting, I finally got a picture of the Humming Bird that visits the feeder. While I am pleased with the composition, the sharpness of the image appears to have fallen victim to the limits of my Sigma 70-300mm lens at 300mm. My DL was mounted on a tripod and I used a remote shutter release. Therefore, camera shake can be ruled out. Also, per the focus indicator, the image was in focus. If I recall, shutter speed was 1/750th sec at aperture of f/5.6. Image shot in RAW; minor cropping and sharpening applied using Picasa.

Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:42 PM   #2

you'll get better results shooting at 260mm f8-11 at 1/180 and using the onboard flash. ck it out..

roy
Old Jul 15, 2006, 9:46 PM   #3

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
After months of waiting, I finally got a picture of the Humming Bird that visits the feeder.* While I am pleased with the composition, the sharpness of the image appears to have fallen victim to the limits of my Sigma 70-300mm lens at 300mm. My DL was mounted on a tripod and I used a remote shutter release.* Therefore, camera shake can be ruled out. Also, per the focus indicator, the image was in focus. If I recall, shutter speed was 1/750th sec at aperture of f/5.6. Image shot in RAW; minor cropping and sharpening applied using Picasa.
Notwithstanding the focus indication, the pict may not be in focus. Did you have it on spot or matrix? To prove it is easy : do it again on the feeder and you will know if you were spot on.
Lens softness at extreme end could be the reason as well. Try some shot with 200mm and F8 . My bet is that it should be sharper. Keep posting. You do a lot better than others incl me. In Toronto or my area , I hardly see any hummer.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:31 AM   #4

I may be totally wrong here but it looks to me as though the focus is more on the feeder and maybe that's why the humming bird appears soft. I quite often get pics like this and it's not usually until a friend of mine points it out that I realise that's what's not quite right with it.

I think I use centre weighted focus on mine which helps. I have tried spot focusing but I find for some reason it makes my pics come out too dark (depending on my subject of course) If I have a composition similar to yours, I will move the camera over slightly so that the area of focus in on the subject, focus and then move the camera back (just as you do with autofocus lock) to the position and shoot. However, with your humming bird, I imagine that would be nigh on impossible given they are fast movers! lol!

I still think it's a good shot and probably better than I could do, if you notice with my pics, pretty much all of them are still rather than moving. Sorry, gone off the subject a bit here, didn't mean to.

Hope you get to shoot him again quite a few times, will give you a chance to experiment with different settings and hopefully get that ultimate shot you are longing for.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 10:24 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback y'all. MY DL is set to use spot focusing. I will switch to center weighted and try to catch the little bugger again. I am expecting to receive my 50-200 Pentax lens by UPS tomorrow. I will try again with it as well.

Jay
Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:29 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
you'll get better results shooting at 260mm f8-11 at 1/180 and using the onboard flash. ck it out..

roy
Roy (and others who gave me feedback), I tried the following changes: set focusing mode at center weighted; aperture of f/11; shutter at 1/180 with fill in flash. The images below are sharper (I have enhanced sharpness and cropped). Sigma 70-300mm lens set at 200 mm. Not sure if Hummers are difficult subjects since they are in a state of perpetual motion!

Old Jul 16, 2006, 4:44 PM   #7

WOW!! What a huge improvement, you should be proud of those two shots! I am impressed!

Well done you, I'm so pleased you got these after your disappointment with the first one, keep at it!

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:09 PM   #8

Agree!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:11 AM   #9

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
you'll get better results shooting at 260mm f8-11 at 1/180* and using the onboard flash. ck it out..

roy
Roy (and others who gave me feedback), I tried the following changes: set focusing mode at center weighted; aperture of f/11; shutter at 1/180 with fill in flash.* The images below are sharper (I have enhanced sharpness and cropped). Sigma 70-300mm lens set at 200 mm.* Not sure if Hummers are difficult subjects since they are in a state of perpetual motion!*

Jay
Right on. You have almost had it domesticated and it is even taking flash shots. Job well done.
Good job.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 4:21 PM   #10

Such a wonderful improvement - this is certainly one to be proud of!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote