Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:41 AM   #1

what's the difference??
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2

FA-J doesn't have an aperture ring, just like the DA lenses. So it cannot be used with older Pentax bodies, but it works fine with the DSLRs.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:55 AM   #3

BK,
there's your answer.. phil asked me and i didn't know.. guess i'll be scratching J lenses off my list. it seems unnatural not having a real aperture ring.. thanks kjell.

roy
Old Jul 16, 2006, 12:07 PM   #4

You're not missing much, the onlythree FAJ lenses produced are the FAJ 28-80/3.5-5.6 AL, the FAJ 18-35/4-5.6 AL (the one offered as a kit lens with the *istD body) and the FAJ 75-300/4.5-5.8 AL. Easily replaced with other lenses, and I guess that you already have the range pretty well covered. One concern might be that these are the ones produced now, there is a risk that they might be there to replace the FA lenses.

Kjell
Old Jul 16, 2006, 5:14 PM   #5

Roy

Thanks for posing the Question. Also Thanks To you bilybianca for the answer

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2006, 6:32 PM   #6

kjell,
i've another question since we are doing Q&A.
where does ''bilybianca' come from?? my handle most places is robar or robarro. it's been that way since our 1st computer. the wife and i.. roy + barbara = robar

roy(ro)
Old Jul 16, 2006, 11:15 PM   #7

Not the same, but in that direction. I've got two white Goffin cocatoos. The male is Bily (="white" in Czecish) and the female is Bianca ("white" in Italian). As you already knew I like languages!

Kjell
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:00 AM   #8

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
FA-J doesn't have an aperture ring, just like the DA lenses. So it cannot be used with older Pentax bodies, but it works fine with the DSLRs.

Kjell
And the difference between the FA-J and DA lenses:

While the FA-J were designed with DSLRs in mind, they provide full frame coverage circles. Theywork on the later film SLRbodies that can control lens appertures.

DA lenses provide coverage circles suited to the *ist DSLR sensor size. This implies vignetting on film SLR - and proves to be so in many cases.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:26 PM   #9

Heathglen wrote:
Quote:
bilybianca wrote:
Quote:

Kjell
And the difference between the FA-J and DA lenses:

While the FA-J were designed with DSLRs in mind, they provide full frame coverage circles. Theywork on the later film SLRbodies that can control lens appertures.

DA lenses provide coverage circles suited to the *ist DSLR sensor size. This implies vignetting on film SLR - and proves to be so in many cases.

Larry in Dallas
I have another question then! if you put a dslr lens on a film camera (i would assume the wider the lens, the more vignetting would occur) and it causes vignetting because it was made with the intention of hitting a smaller surface area, then my question is...is the inverse then true for lenses that were built for 35mm film slrs? being that the image the projected through to the film covered a larger area, when applied to a dslr, will the dslr only be getting the center, and not full amount of use that the lens had an intended use for? (i.e. using an older film fisheye lens, there would be less line distortion because of the centered nature of the projected image?)

i don't know if that question even makes any sense, let me know if it doesn't!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:31 PM   #10

You're perfectly right. The good side of this is that many lenses perform best in the center, and sharpness/contrast/distortion might be a problem in the corners. On a DSLR you only use the "sweet spot".

Kjell