Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2006, 1:48 PM   #21

I got it from B&H at a slightly lower price from whatever I can get from Toronto. I saw something like $115 Can+ tax in Toronto.
To me - and I can stress that is only to me - photographer vest is just outlandish. A fishman vest can serve the same purpose.
AW200 really suits my style. The time it takes me to actually aim and shoot is just around 4 seconds while walking with it on my back. A
fter finishing my shots , it takes me another 4 seconds to put back back the camera + lens, zip it up, swing the bag to my back and continue with my walk. That is cool.

Daniel

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, where did you get yours - what cost? Whats the diff between the 100 and 200 I can seem to tell them apart.

Thanks
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 6:48 PM   #22

You definitely gave me some idea. Your design can easily be turned into a Slingshot design which enables you to swing from the back to the front for loading/unloading. Never underestimate the wisdom of women. They use handbag for centuries earlier than all of us. Your DIY carry bag has the same half moon zipper (like Slingshot aw100 or 200). Well if I leave it on a restaurant table, will that be taken less readily than an expensive camera bag? I do agree with you that for less number of photo gears, yours is the best. A good one.

Daniel

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I like DIY. The carry-bag I bought in the supermarket, sold as a "beauty box" for lady's make-up stuff. A camping-matress, some contact-glue and a couple of hours of fun gave me this. Cheap. It's not screaming "steal this bag" and it's perfect for my carry-around-needs, in fact better than any dedicated bag I've tried.

Kjell
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:01 PM   #23

I have one of these, and really love it. It is $36.00 shipped from Amazon. The only drawback is you have to live with the Canon logo on the bag!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...224615?ie=UTF8
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:18 AM   #24

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
The only drawback is you have to live with the Canon logo on the bag!
Ouch! Thats a tough one!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:25 AM   #25

The logo should be no problem with a black marker.

Daniel thanks for the info. I'm visiting the local today - if he has it I'm buying (slingshot) I've been sitting on the fence too long. I figure with the exchange and the shipping and maybe customs it works out equivelant.

nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:46 PM   #26

OK, I got my apollo backpack that I referred to earlier in this thread. it can be found through a seller on ebay (search: apollo camera backpack).

all i have to say, is this bag is amazing! i checked out the lowepro and tamrac versions over the weekend so i could compare. the apollo is totally sturdy, feels almost like a box! the sides, backing and top opening flap are all padded with what feels like a foam (not gonna cut it open to find out!), its 1" thick on every side. the pack itself is made with a very heavy cordura nylon, feels very tough. the interior dimensions are 10 3/4 W x 6 D x 16 H - slightly deeper and taller than the equivalent tamrac and lowepro, and about 1/2" less wide. you could easily fit 2 camera bodies and 4-6 lenses with no problem at all. the main inside pocket is of course lined with velcro everywhere, the two main dividers are also 1" thick, and the other dividers are standard fare for camera bags. the main pocket flap has 2 mesh pockets adjacent to the main compartment. the second, smaller compartment has several small pockets, pen and cleaning supply holders, and a deep pocket for storing other goods. the front of the bag has a bungee pull strap and also a solid clasp strap that hold my tripod quite well (it is a small sunpak 4700, nothing major). there are side straps that could probably be used to secure a tripod to as well, it seems very versatile. the shoulder straps are padded and comfortable as well. for $68 i paid for the black version (if the seller has a "best offer" on one of his auctions, he will take $40 for the silver version - plus $16 handling) or $56 for the silver version, this bag is worth every penny if you've decided on a backpack for your setup. all that and it looks way cooler than any lowepro and tamrac backpack! plus as i said before, it doesn't have 'camera equipement bag' written all over it (see: thieves).
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 9:47 PM   #27

my 100th post, woohoo!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:22 AM   #28

Glad you like the Apollo! I have been very satisfied with mine! I opted for the black one also ... I figured it would be worth the extra $5 over the silver to keep it from looking dirty in a year or two.

Congrats!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:37 AM   #29

Oh, as far as vests go, I couldn't see spending $75-$150 on a photo vest but I did like the idea of all of the pockets. So I was going through a BassPro sale flyer one day a year or so ago, they had a fly fishing vest for $14.95usd. There's a BassPro store about a hour from me in St. Charles, MO & it's perfect for the few times that I want to use it. Lots of different size pockets for assorted asundries. I think I would recommend buying a new as opposed to "used" just in case a old fisherman may have left an old fish in it a time or two.:G

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:12 AM   #30

Went to the local camera store and looked at the Slingshot - the 200, not the 100 model (they didn't have one of them). I really liked the looks of it, but the 200 is bigger than I probably want. Has anyone seen both of them, and is the 100 much smaller? I thought the slingshot could go over the hydration pack?

I also looked at the Tamron Velocity bags. While they are nice, they aren't as versatile as the slingshots. I'm just not sure I want to get something as big as the 200 for hiking with another pack - I'd be too tempted to fill it up, and I could easily see it getting heavier than would be comfortable to carry.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote