Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:41 PM   #1

i am looking for a new camera bag as my crumpler 6 millions dollar home bag is just a little too small. i am going to get a large bag for all my gear and a small bag for just bringing my camera with 1 or 2 lenses along.
i have narrowed my choices between 2 bags for my larger purchase.

they are: crumpler 7 million dollar home and a lowepro nova 5.

i currently carry:

pentax *ist dl w / 18-55
sigma 70-300
pentax 50mm
pentax 360 flash
filters
spare batteries / blower brush

i can fit all this in my crumpler 6 million dollar bag but it is pretty tight. i would like a little more room with the anticipation that i might get one more lens down the road.

i like the crumpler 7 for its style and it seems a little more roomier than the 6. i like the lowepro nova 5 but i am not crazy about the boxy shape.
any comments on these 2 bags would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
lgbalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2006, 8:48 PM   #2

I have a Nova 5 that I am very happy with, room for two camera bodies with relatively short lenses and at least 5 other lenses (or flash units etc.. It is a little boxy but is easy to carry while open, a great feature if you need quick access and need to move around alot.

There is a picture at this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:37 PM   #3

I've got the Nova 5AW. This boxy bag is cavernous. Right now it's got a film SLR with grip and mounted zoom, 2 primes, 2 zooms, 1 flash and its bracket and accessories, 1 teleconverter, 1 set of extension tubes and a bunch of hoods, filters, batteriesand film. There is still room for my DSLR and a few more lenses.

Fully loaded, this is one heavy puppy. An OpTech bag strap makes it feel lighter - but it's still h-e-a-v-y.

I've used this bag over two years. It looks brand new. Maybe it's because I just don't take it to every shoot.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:17 PM   #4

not owning either of these bags, and currently looking (though i've decided on a backpack, shoulder bags are just too 'bouncy' for my liking) - the one thing that tops my list is a bag that doesn't say 'I'm carrying around $1-2K of camera equipment!' i didn't look at the dimentions of the bags, but the crumpler to me, says, i'm just a nice everyday carry around bag with nothing particularily expensive in it...while the lowepro says, this bag is full of electronic goodies to be stolen! personally, i'm taking a chance on this backpack

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apollo-Camera-Ba...QQcmdZViewItem

- i stumbled across it on ebay, it was designed by a pro skateboard photographer and looks well built - the few reviews online and the seller's feedback seem to indicate it is a good product. and to me, its discreet, just looks like a nice backpack, not a gadgety backpack with expensive things in it.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:44 AM   #5

I just got the Apollo backpack & love it. I've got room for the dl, 70-300mm tamron, sigma 170-500mm, sigma ef500st flash, 2 small lens (possible 3) & room to spare. There's 2 huge pockets on the inner side of the flap. The outer side of the flap has room for a decent size book, small notebook, battery charger w/ cords,pens, card wallet, etc. There's a mesh pocket on the outside for a bottle of water & straps for tripod! The backpack also comes with velcro dividers for the inside. It's made of cordura (per seller) so it's supposed to be water resistant.

So far, it's been a great bag for me but then again, I'm 38, 6'3" & wiegh about 250lbs so I could see it could be heavy (when fully loaded) for someone of a slighter stature. That's polite for someone who doesn't like to eat as much as I do:G!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6

I have a Lowepro micro trekker backpack and a Nova 5 shoulder bag, my response is simple. If you will be shooting events which require a lot of moving around go with the shoulder bag since it can be carried while still open. Most backpacks must be closed to carry so they are not as suitable for events such as weddings, but are excellent for hiking since they are more comfortable to carry.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:04 AM   #7

wadue wrote:
Quote:
I just got the Apollo backpack & love it. I've got room for the dl, 70-300mm tamron, sigma 170-500mm, sigma ef500st flash, 2 small lens (possible 3) & room to spare. There's 2 huge pockets on the inner side of the flap. The outer side of the flap has room for a decent size book, small notebook, battery charger w/ cords,pens, card wallet, etc. There's a mesh pocket on the outside for a bottle of water & straps for tripod! The backpack also comes with velcro dividers for the inside. It's made of cordura (per seller) so it's supposed to be water resistant.

So far, it's been a great bag for me but then again, I'm 38, 6'3" & wiegh about 250lbs so I could see it could be heavy (when fully loaded) for someone of a slighter stature. That's polite for someone who doesn't like to eat as much as I do:G!

Ron
thanks for the response, it sounds better than i'd hoped! i thought i'd read (on some obscure website i found) that the apollo backpack did have straps for a tripod - and am very glad to hear that is in fact true.

i have a cheapie, smaller shoulder bag from target that will suit my needs if i don't need all the equipment i have (or will have!) but i take alot of pictures outdoors and so the backpack will be the best choice most of the time. thanks for your responses!
Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:55 PM   #8

I'm still trying to find a great solution for day hiking. My biggest desire is for convenience - accessibility and comfort.

I've tried carrying equipment in a backpack. Advantage is that you can carry a fair amount. Disadvantage is that it's not easily accessible, I hate taking off and putting on a pack all the time (got to hate that when I was carrying maps).

I've tried a shoulder strap bag carried cross chest. Advantage is accessibility, and I can carry a fair amount this way. Disadvantage is that I can't carry anything else except camera equipment, and there's more things I need to take day-hiking, even short hikes, such as water etc.

What I've come up with at the moment is a fanny pack I wear to the front for photo stuff and a hydration pack for water, first aid, etc. The advantage to this is that everything is easily accessible. Unfortunately, the waist strap for the fanny pack is hitting me on my back where it presses against a nerve and I get leg pain. Not cool.

I'm thinking that I'll dig out the case that came with the camera and wear the camera cross-shoulder over the hydration pack with one lens mounted, then carry the 24mm in its case (which I still have) attached to the belt of the hydration pack. The rest of the photo stuff (spare batteries, card, polarizer) Iwouldn't mind carrying in the backpack. The only problem is that I also carry a portable GPS which is pretty good sized most of the time and I'm not very big, so I don't know if there's room to carry the GPS and a lens case on the waist band while carrying the camera cross-shoulder. And, if I carry the camera cross-shoulder it can interfere with using a walking stick because it isn't secured very well, like it is when I carry it in the fanny pack - found that out this winter while snowshoeing with cross country poles. Not sure I'm willing to put the walking stick monopod onto the hydration pack (there's places on it to carry poles).

Anyone have any bright ideas?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:01 PM   #9

I am STILL thinking about the slingshot - specifically because there might be cycling involved.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:03 PM   #10

i like the slingshot, definitely was one of my top 3 choices before i opted for the pack mentioned above.