Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:12 AM   #1

I bought a Pentax ist* DL about 2 weeks ago and i'm a novice in digital photo.

My problem is everytime i take a photo it looks to me that it alwys needs some work in PS to look best. I always try PS's "auto-levels", "auto contrast" or "Auto colors" to see wich looks best to me. Sometimes i try it manual. Is it normal in digital photography or i'm i just doing something wrong?

Thanks
illidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:15 AM   #2
TDN

it's normal when you have a new camera. Just play around with the settings etc a little, and eventually you'll be able to get "out of the box" shots

I've had my DL for about 2 months now, and I'm almost at that stage.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:46 AM   #3

Would you upload a couple of the pict that you need to tweak with PS? Give all the setting as well if the exif is not there. Say aperture, shutter speed, lens used......etc. You may email me at danielchtong AT Yahoo Dot Com if you do not know how to post here.

Daniel

illidan wrote:
Quote:
I bought a Pentax ist* DL about 2 weeks ago and i'm a novice in digital photo.

My problem is everytime i take a photo it looks to me that it alwys needs some work in PS to look best. I always try PS's "auto-levels", "auto contrast" or "Auto colors" to see wich looks best to me. Sometimes i try it manual. Is it normal in digital photography or i'm i just doing something wrong?

Thanks
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:08 AM   #4
TDN

also, try messing around with the exposure compensation while in P-mode (or any mode...)

Just press the little "Av ±" button and spin the wheel under your thumb. This will correct the exposure for you with as many steps as you selected.
VERY handy in low/high light situations, and even in all situations it's proven it's worth to me.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:28 AM   #5

Daniel i've tried to mail youbut the mail's all came back...

It says the user doesn't have an account...:sad:
Old Jul 17, 2006, 9:30 AM   #6

Oops sorry

danielchtong At Yahoo Dot com

Daniel

illidan wrote:
Quote:
Daniel i've tried to mail youbut the mail's all came back...

It says the user doesn't have an account...:sad:
Old Jul 17, 2006, 8:46 PM   #7

This is normal as Pentax have set their default settings so that you can make the final decision on how the image should look.

Not every sitiaution is perfect and the camera's metering is only a guide. Also sharpness is affected by the amount of contrast in an image so these two factors can not be set in isolation.

The main thing though is not oveerexpose and blow the highlights. Slight underexposure seems to come out fine but if the whites are overexposed by the camera settings than you will never get them back.

Check out this very relevant thread

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:51 PM   #8

I think it also depends on what you are used to seeing. I had a Sony F717 that I loved and that's what I tend to compare things to. I replaced it with a Panasonic FZ30 but rarely liked what I got out of it - the colors were too saturated and there was just something about them I didn't care for, while others thought they were better than the Sony.

The Pentax comes with two settings - the default setting is vivid, which is more saturated and sharper than the natural setting. Just my personal preference, but I prefer the natural setting - I find that vivid is a bit too sharpand a bit too much like the Panasonic for my tastes. It's a personal thing, and there's nothing wrong with either one, just "different strokes." Try using whichever mode you aren't using now and see if that makes a difference.

By the way, I usually do play around with my photos. I enjoy doing it, so I usually shoot in raw. I've done that with all of my digital cameras. The Pentax has more versatility and it took longer for me to figure out how to get what I want. I'm still learning about things - this forum has really helped me by giving me great advice, introducing me to new concepts and answering my questions. If there's something you don't understand, just ask.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the advice...

I've been using the default setting in contrast and saturation. The main problem is the underexposure and the low contrast. I haven't tried to raised the contrast setting on the machine because i was afraid that would happen what phil said. I might not be able to set the pic right later. I'll post an example:

Color mode: sRGB; Focal lenght: 33mm; F /8; 1/250s; Iso: 200.
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2006, 9:26 AM   #10

The pict is soft overall.
Suggestion: Use Av setting at F8. Jack it up to iso 400 or even 800. Try
+ 0.5 Av as well. It is low light anyway. I trust the lens is the kit lens 18-55. See how well it goes.

Daniel

illidan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice...

I've been using the default setting in contrast and saturation. The main problem is the underexposure and the low contrast. I haven't tried to raised the contrast setting on the machine because i was afraid that would happen what phil said. I might not be able to set the pic right later. I'll post an example:

Color mode: sRGB; Focal lenght: 33mm; F /8; 1/250s; Iso: 200.