Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:30 PM   #11

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I'm really impressed with the first one - you were shooting in somewhat difficult lighting conditions and you didn't lose either the shadows or blow out the light part. The focus is really sharp on the first 2.

Thanks, metering was fairly simple for Shadow (the grey kitty) 'cuz he's well, grey! I used multisegment metering and the exposure came out great but mainly due to the subject being grey rather than any expertise on my part.

The third one was really difficult with so much backlighting. I wonder if you used the flash (assuming you were within the flash's range) to lighten the face, would that have helped, by helping to equal out the light/dark range?

yes, the backlighting was difficult, i didnt think about using a flash since i started out with the on camera flash but even with flash exposure compensation it ruined the mood so i decided to just go with ambient lighting. I posted an example below of what one of the flash shots looked like; terrible for me.

Manual focus takes practice. I use several manual lenses and at first depended on the beep/light to tell me when I had the focus right. I still use it as a guide, but now don't depend on it any more - I can usually tell when I have it right.All the practice I've had recently with a new macro lens has certainly helped me get used to it. I do have the dioper adjusted to my eyes when I'm wearing lenses corrected for long distances - if I try to use myuncorrected eye,computer or reading glasses I won't get it right (I'm one of those who would wear either progressive lenses or trifocals, but I do it by wearing contacts for distance, then bifocals for computer (top) and close (bottom). Works great!). I only run into problems if I'm outdoors with my back-up glasses. They are transition lenses and I'll check out the viewfinder without using them to see what the colors look like, but I can't focus that way"

Thanks for the tips. I too also wear glasses or if im shooting prefer contacts. I hate looking into the veiwfinder with my glasses so i also try to get them out of the way. Im near sighted but my prescription is very mild from what other people have told me. Ive left the diopter at zero or no adjustment. i wasnt sure how to configure it seeing as sometimes i do peer through with my glasses on or other times without. I think for critical focus work, i tend not to use them (glasses). either way i guess i will have to learn to get used to the viewfinder again. I do use the on camera focus assist but not the beep, more like the little red dots that appear in the viewfinder to tell you what part of the frame is in focus. I also use the little stop sign icon in the viewfinder to also let me know that i have the subject area in focus. but like i said, when i'm shooting for a subjects eye's i cant rely on the camera also shooting for that or whats closest to the lens (their nose); so i just use these as guides.
Attached Images

ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:38 PM   #12

hi guys..!! i have a few shots to share too... i shot these in JPEGs with my 50mm/f1.4 handheld but ive lost the exifs... very shallow DOF.. resized but no crop done..

hakeem

p/s ashley is one Laaaaaazy cat..
Attached Images

sickge3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:51 PM   #13

No.2
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:53 PM   #14

No. 3
Attached Images

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:54 PM   #15

No.4
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:42 AM   #16

hey, those are all really great! and that's the kind of shallow depth of field i'm looking for. That last pic is my favorite. Nice work.

So how hard was it to pull off those shots? with such a narrow focus field were you shooting with aperature wide open? an 50mm huh? i think i've got an old manual 50mm f1.7 somewhere. I should try it out. I've stayed away from it because getting that close with a short lens i worry about the imaging becoming deformed. but yours turned out real nice and i like the surroundings too.

again, nice job!
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:01 AM   #17

thx for the compliment.. primes produce clear shots almost 'everytime'..i didn't realize the potential of the pentax 50mm/f1.4 until i did a search in this forum on good prime lens.. the guys were talking about it n i started digging my dad's lens collection n found this baby.. :-)

to get that DOF i just stopped down to f1.4 in Av mode.. needed a little exp compensation for the correct exposure.. other than that everything was set to auto.. (ISO, WB, etc..) autofocused on ashleys' eyes.. the only problem was to get down low to take the last shot..
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:02 AM   #18

Don't forget to think about the 1.5 multiplication factor with the digital cameras - that 50mm will be slightly telephoto. I've used mine quite a bit for all kinds of things.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:55 AM   #19

I like these, esp the one where he's got his head on the pillow. You've used the DOF very well, and the composition and colours are also appealling. You brought out the personality of that cat (Bet, if he could talk he'd say "Yes I will, but not today. MaƱana".)

They all also all explain whyI like my 50 mm 1.4, and primes in general.

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:27 AM   #20

thanx for the compliment Kjell..!! ive fell in love with this lens.. so do u huh??

btw, i forgot to mention, im using pentax DS2, my first SLR.. just got into photography last month..

hakeem