Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:21 AM   #1

Ok, as you all know, I hate the idea of altering my images, however, one of my heron shots was kind of spoilt by another bird in the shot so I had a go at altering it to get rid of it.

I'd appreciate opinions please as to whether or not it looks ok.

Here is the original....
Attached Images

alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:22 AM   #2

And here is the edited version...
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:38 AM   #3

If you didn't know you wouldn't notice. Nice work!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

I do not believe in pp at all. But in this case (removing a distracting blurred-out bird image), it is justified.
But I would not bother even to do any pp . Good shot no doubt.

Daniel

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:12 AM   #5

Nice shot and pp of the heron alibunnylady. Postprocessing is one of the steps involved with photograpy. I remember a thread on this a couple of years ago. There were pros and cons, but most agreed that there probably aren't a lot of professionals out there not processing. Why else would there be so many very costly editing programs available. Just browse through any magazine and ask yourself if you think that photo was straight out of the camera. Not likely...cheers.....Don.

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
I do not believe in pp at all. But in this case (removing a distracting blurred-out bird image), it is justified.

Daniel

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:55 AM   #6

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:

Daniel

alibunnylady wrote:
Quote:
You're very very much like me, I really hate any post processing. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to photograph this beautiful bird again, he just hasn't been there and I've never seen him before either which was why I justified it on this occasion. I would much preferred to have gone out and taken more shots to post processing.

It does make me think of doing it to some others as well though, just to see what can and can't be achieved but if I got prints and showed them to people and they started telling me how great the photos were etc, I would feel I had to tell them I altered them or I would feel like I was deceiving them if you know what I mean.

Still, in this instance, I'm glad I did it because it was necessary I think, specially given that I haven't had the chance to re shoot.

Alison
Old Jul 19, 2006, 8:55 AM   #7

Yep, alibunnylady, I think that was the best way to handle this shot. Beautiful creature, isn't it!

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:23 AM   #8

Hi,

Well done !

I agree to do some PP as far as it create better image for its intention and not generate misinterpretation to the original image. We should think each image have its own capability to deliver a massage not to dwindle its value of history.

Cheers,

RTogog
rtogog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:38 AM   #9

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Allison,

Your PP is perfect! I have tried to do this, but no very successfully. Do tell me how you were able tothe background so flawlessly? Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 12:43 PM   #10

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
Allison,

Your PP is perfect! I have tried to do this, but no very successfully. Do tell me how you were able tothe background so flawlessly? Jay
I used Adobe Photoshop and the clone stamp, zoomed in on the area I needed to use and clone and did it that way, I think it helped that it was murky water needed to get rid of alot of the little bird.

I then altered the size of the clone tool for the legs and did them little by little, using an area of the left leg to do the left leg and the right leg to do the right leg to ensure the direction was right. Hard to explain really.

Then of course, I needed to clone part of the log to get rid of the final part of the little bird.

I'm useless at explaining things so hope this makes some sense.

Alison