Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:59 AM   #1

Sometimes we forget that the camera is also a simple tool for recording events (or progress). Here is a simple, overly compressed, artistically challenged shot that merely records what I have been doing over the last week. Anyone else have a simple, "look what I did" picture which points out the value of the digital camera as a way to record our own lives?

An article I read a while ago talked about how we sometimes skip all of the grab and grin shots of family, in order to find that artistic shot of some building or landscape. Long after we have lost interest in those "artistic" pictures we will still look in family albums and say, "Remember when...".

Ira

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:50 AM   #2

Ira,

It reminds me of the before and after shots of a weight loss product where the after looks so much better than the before. Your house looks much brighter now that you have a new deck!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:56 AM   #3

The time of day choicewas not intentional but rather something of a Freudian slip I guess.

Ira
Old Jul 19, 2006, 11:38 AM   #4

You'll love using that deck for a long time, and having the "before" picture will be fun many years down the road.

It's interesting that you bring up the importance of taking all kinds of photos- I've posted photo albums on a couple of subjects, ones where I'm trying to make a point rather than take a good picture. Recently I took some that were details of the features of a new car I got, and while I made a point of getting focus and exposure right, all I tried to do was take pictures showing some things that impressed me about the design of the vehicle (it had been out in the US for about a month when I bought it, so while the rest of the world already knew about this fine little vehicle, it was essentially unknown for us folks in North America). They were simply factual, not at all inspired. Someone made the comment about how impressed they were - they never thought about taking some of the views I put up (which shocked me because I was only interested in telling the story of a cool vehicle and thought the pictures very mundane).

Photography is so many different things, and no one subject/use is "THE right" one.No matter what I tryartistically, I'm always trying to record what's around me, what I see. Othersare great at still-life, studio type of photography where theycreateincredible scenesin color and light. Still others tell a story, like those lovely images of the festival that were posted recently. All are different, all are equally valuable. And yes, those "I was there" vacation pictures are every bit as important as the most perfect leaf or flower picture.

Looking and talking to all of you here have pushed me into trying new things. I haven't always been successful, but I've learned from the experiments, and when I've gone back to something I'mcomfortable withand relatively goodat (flowers, trees and landscapes), the results have been better than before. So don't forget to take those "before and after" pictures (Ira - did you also take pictures of the intermediate steps? That can be useful later when someone asks you "how did you do that?"), those low percentage shots, those pictures that explain something (like how a car manufacturer handled the middle seatbelt in the back seat) or where you stayed on your last vacation.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:58 PM   #5

Now, this is becoming scary. :shock:Ira, you've been improving your house and built a veranda/porch.(Very impressing job, believe me, I was a carpenter before I changed direction in life and became a teacher.)

So what have I been doing lately to improve my home? Well...

Attached Images

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 1:59 PM   #6

And this far I got last summer
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:00 PM   #7

This summer it's going to be finished. Son giving a helping hand...
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:00 PM   #8

And yesterday I started with the stairs.

Kjell
Attached Images

Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:21 PM   #9

So Kjell, what do you teach?!?

BTW, is that in-floor heating?

Mtngal, i rarely shoot the mundane stuff with the DL simply because the Pentax Optio 33L is so much more portable.It takes great pictures, fits in a little belt case and offers a fair amount of flexibility. At 3MP it easily produces the quality 4"X6" prints and easily cropped web images we usually use for day to day things. My only award winning photograph was actually taken with that camera (OK so it was only a photo contest, it was an award).

Ira
Old Jul 19, 2006, 2:24 PM   #10

Kinda science... social science and history. But I do make a point ofworking closelywith the science teacher :lol:. And I like to act, a few times the theater teacher have needed a man in his best years and let me hop in. (Only minor parts though.)

Edit: Floor-heating. Yes, if I get the idea in the future (as if I don't already have it) to put a roof over and some walls around the veranda it's easier if it is already there.

Edit: The shots from last summer was with an Optio SV, I didn't have my DS then.

Kjell