Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2006, 7:55 AM   #11

Could not resist this thread. I wanted to show a unique picture that I took 4 years ago, with Olympus 3020(or 3010?, nevermind:}) Camedia Zoom 3.1Mp. I know the quality is terrible, but when it comes to sharing photos, Pentaxians ar the best :}...
Attached Images

Verloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:19 AM   #12

I just point the camera at the sky and shoot - I do try to meter from some of the lighter parts of the sky and let the landscape go into silhouette. It all depends on the sunset itself, what clouds are what colors and so on. It also pays to look east - sometimes the clouds there are pretty and more pastel colored.

This picture was taken 4th of July weekend when we were visiting Las Vegas and there were thunderstorms around. I did NOT use a red filter, though you might not believe that looking at this picture. I usually use either the DA 50-200 lens or the M 24mm 2.8 lens for sunsets (I also took a photo at the same time as this with the 24mm that captured some white street lights also, showing that the sky really was that color. Unfortunately, there's this tree right in the middle thats terrible!).
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:31 AM   #13

Great shots mtngal and verlac. You are right about the heatwaves Roy, when it's still 98 at sunset, who wants to get out and shoot. We had a thermometer on a drug store in Joplin that said it was 123 degrees. It was in the middle of a blacktop parking lot, so it might not have been lying. A secret I learned when shooting film was to underexpose the sunset by a half-stop to one stop.That improves the color saturation on film and slide. What I've figured out with the istDL and the promaster 70-300 zoom is that that combination tends to underexpose by about a half-step when aimed at the sun, or even the brightest part of the sky. I still bracket these shots from one over to one and a half under because depending on the clouds, where the sun is, the haze and a myriad of other factors you can get great warm colors and lights bouncing off the clouds and een the ground.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:49 AM   #14

This was taken last week when I was up in Darwin for my cousin's wedding. This was at the Mendil Beach Markets where you go to watch the sunset and stay for the markets and food stalls!
It was taken with my 50mm f/1.7 with no pp apart from a slight crop and resize to fit the net better!
Attached Images

Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:19 AM   #15

The sun was setting behind me as I took this shot looking the other way.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:28 AM   #16

This is the only one I have right now and it is at sunset!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:49 AM   #17

This was what was facing me last April when I looked east during the sunset I posted above. It was stil raining lightly where I was standing and behind me the sun had broken through a thin clear strip between the clouds and the horizon. This was shot about 20 minutes before the one I posted above. I've seen the same affect twice this year in our area. I shot this with the kit lens at full-wide at iso 800. I adjusted the brightness a hair, but really didn't do much post-processing other than to resize it for the web.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:37 AM   #18

My best was taken with a Pentax Optio 33L before I got the DL:

Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:44 PM   #19

The basic thing to use when shooting sunsets is some Exposure Compensation. It will darken the image slightly and enhance the color of the sunset. Here is an example of a sunset shot with Exposure Compensation.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 2:24 PM   #20

Wow - there are some really outstanding photos here! Tom - those clouds are really unusual, at least to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote