Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:33 AM   #31

Pentax as a point and shoot camera: My hubby knows nothing about photography. I've known him for 26 years and he has never had a camera or shown any interest in cameras during this time - I don't think he's ever owned one in his life.

We carpool to work - he drives in the mornings and I drive home in the evenings. Tonight we decided to eat dinner near work to avoid the horrible Friday get-away traffic - seemed like a good idea at 4:40. We started home at 5:50 and were greeted with a news report saying there were lanes closed due to a brush fire, with limited ways of getting around it. We were still in the back-up as the sun went down. It was a pretty sunset (smoke does that to a sky) and I reached for the camera to snap a couple of pictures as we were crawling along at about 5 mph. For some reason my hubby didn't think that was a good idea and took the DS (with the DA 50-200 lens)away from me. I told him how to take the lens cap off, turn on the camera and where the shutter is. He happily started shooting away.

This photohas too much dynamic range for the sensor. The sky was outstanding (where he pointed the lens) and its a nicely, in focus picture taken through the front windshield of a car moving at a very slow speed. I was really impressed that someone who never uses a camera could take such a nice picture.

I can't resist posting this picture he took. It shows that the DS can be used as a point and shoot. However, I couldn't resist playing with it. The picture was shot in raw format, so I "developed" once for the lovely sky and a second time for the line of cars in front ofthe car(which washed out the sky). Then I selected the sky in one and pasted it on top of the road I liked, used Neat Image to deal with the noise, resized it and used some USM to sharpen what Neat Image softened. None of the post processing was very difficult, and I thought this showed what this camera can give you without any knowledge of cameras, and a little knowledge of Photoshop.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:29 AM   #32

Well done, mtngal and husband-

The result looks very nice ideed, and makes a very proper addition to the sunsets and sunrises thread. This should give those making the transition from P&S to DSLR a bit of encouragement and motivation.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:00 AM   #33

well done Hgal.. great processing, i don't see anything wrong with it.

roy
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:20 AM   #34

Mtngal -- thanks for the kind words! I'm enjoying all the other posted photos, too, if I didn't already say so. It's good to see the various visions of all the contributors.

I like putting the horizon in the middle on shots like these because of how it emphasizes the reflection of the sky.

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 9:24 PM   #35

i do like a nice sunsetsunrise
and as some of the others here
we dont get to many cloudy sunsets/sunrises here in Perth
heres my sunrise
standing outside my front door looking south

http://johndolphin.net/photos/details.php?image_id=918

i have a few more here
http://johndolphin.net/photos/categories.php?cat_id=18
Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:48 PM   #36

John - some of those are really outstanding!
Old Jul 23, 2006, 2:15 PM   #37

We have sort of a lack of sunrises in this thread, so I thought I would add one to the thread.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:33 PM   #38

Predates my DL but I like this shot ... taken with Olympus 2040 Zoom.

Cheers, Mike
Attached Images

mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:38 PM   #39

Here's mine, taken from the Flagship Pier in Galveston, Texas while I was waiting for the delayed July 4th fireworks. This was the first weekend withmy new DL.

Shot with the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens at 31mm, F/5.6, 1/90, ISO-400.

Russ

rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:06 AM   #40

Great color! And taken right after you get the camera.