Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:43 AM   #1

When a dSLR ison AutoPic mode, are the results the same as a P&S?

I'm asking because our new camera will be used by someone who is not familiar with SLR's and lenses. And until I have shown him the basics, the camera will be on AutoPicMode.

This will be ourfirst dSLR and it's obvious that most everyone here is talking above my head. My only SLR experience is 35mm and didn't really struggle getting decent results, but the kind of results/techniques you all post/share here is way above anything I've ever done. I'm planning to take an class and use as much information from these forums to help me get started as well...

I am truly inspired by all the photography here.
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:57 AM   #2

i wouldn't dwell on the auto mode too much; program mode is essentially the same thing, but allows for access to change things manually as you're learning. that being said, it can be as easy as a point and shoot in the auto mode. but you will get much better pictures from a dslr even in auto mode, simply because the sensor is so much larger than a point and shoot. thats why 6 megapixels is more than adequate for anyone but professional photographers for the most part.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:01 AM   #3

welcome to the board. i'd tell you , yes, about your ?? but as i sat here reading it i realized that i've never used the auto mode. i believe all you need to use either 'autopict' or the 'P' setting for the ist to do the work.. mine went straight to Av and only leaves there when it's in manual about 50/50.

roy
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:16 AM   #4

Hi cameanee and welcome to the board.          If you are asking whether someone can use a dslr in the auto modes and get decent pics, the answer is yes. The big advantage to a dslr is it has the auto exposure modes and the auto focus of a point and shoot, but allows you to put different lenses and take back that control in the program and manual modes as you learn how to use them. When you have to get the shot right and you're not sure of the exposure settings, you can switch to the auto mode of your choice and still get that shot. As you learn more about f-stops, shutter speeds, camera shake and zooming, you might find yourself using those auto modes less and less. I still use them sometimes when I want to consentrate on getting the shot without worrying about exposure.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:48 AM   #5

These are the responses I was hoping to get. My husband needs a decentcamera for work (new job) to mostly record events and training at the fire academy, and I just want to make surethat my "want" for the dSLR isn't going to be a burden for him. I wish I was the one taking those pics, then I would record with a Canon s3 and have fun with the dSLR!
cameanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:17 PM   #6

As others have said, the DL will work like a P&S with the auto mode. The camera has several scene modes available, also. The nice thing about setting the camera to auto is that it will "look" at the scene and automatically choose the scene mode that it thinks is the right one. The person behind the lens only has to push the shutter.

The pictures are very comparible to many point and shoot cameras - the auto setting will automatically sharpen and add saturation to the picture (it only uses the "vivid" setting). That's fine for many people and the printed results are very nice without touching the file at all.

Just my personal preference, but I prefer the natural setting over the vivid - I don't like quite as much sharpening as the camera does (again, personal preference). So when I don't have anything specific in mind, I put the camera in the P mode. This allows me to shoot with the natural setting, but the camera still does it's own thing when it comes to settings -still pretty much point and shoot. I then make my own adjustments in Photoshop as far as any extra sharpening I want or other adjustments.

Both modes will give you excellent results, so play with them and decide which one you prefer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 7:52 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I don't mean to hijack this topic, but as I was reading through the comments, I have a question. I primarily leave my DL on the Av mode (90% of the time). 10% of the time I switch to Tv (trying to get capture the Hummer). However, among the auto modes are three settings: "Auto Picture", Program, and :-)(the smiley face). What's the difference between the 3?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:36 AM   #8

My DS has Normal, Portrait, Landscape, Macro and Moving Object mode to pick from. Normal is the smiley face!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:33 AM   #9

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think they're differentiated as follows: P is program mode, essentially the same as auto, but allows you to use all the manual control options at your fingertips. auto sets appropriate settings for the scene you're shooting, without allowing for any manual overrides, and the smiley face selects from the different scene modes for whatever the camera thinks is appropriate for the scene you're shooting (i'm not too sure about the last of the 3 explanations).
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 12:05 PM   #10

The only problem i found in Auto mode so far is the underexposure of the pic, but it seems to be meant to do that. The problem can be corrected easily and it has been refered in the thread below:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

David
illidan is offline   Reply With Quote