Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2006, 12:53 PM   #11

Hmm... Not bad at all. In fact jolly good, old chap... as they would say in Cambridge, with a stiff upper lip.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:44 PM   #12

Nobody here is stupid. It is just an abbreviation.
Anyway it was a good welcome to a relatively new member posting stunning pict. I was jealous thinking that such good pict must be unreal (with heavy pp). And I do not do any pp at all.

Daniel
www.pbase.com/danieltong

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Boy am I stupid or what!
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 1:49 PM   #13

Great Photos, hogrider!

Welcome to our forum.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:34 PM   #14

Wow - thanks for all the comments and the welcome. Just to answer the questions that came up:

The fly (I am sure it is the same fly on every picture) was on a "Bird of Paradise" bush in my backyard. I had rained alittle earlier and I think the fly tried to gather moisture from the plant. I was actually planing to take pictures of a little crab spider when I noticed the fly - pure luck.

All pictures were taken with a tripod. It was a little overcast but still bright. All photos have been photo shopped more or less. I used PSP X. They have been sharpened, cropped, re sized, maybe a little contrast and other adjustments. I do that do most all of my pictures and consider it part of this type of photography. At least I don't have to worry about the Vinegar small from the dark room anymore. :-)

The attached picture is cropped from the original (RAW converted with either Silkypix or Rawshooter). No PP except for conversion to JPG. Just for comparison.

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:03 PM   #15

will,
you are correct. i see no difference in the pentax compared to the vivitar except maybe $300. i know the DA is smaller and lighter but i think i'll hold ontothe S1for awhile..

about the images. with all the fly's i've shot i have yet to get one blowing the bubbles. i've seen a number of otheres that have so i'll keep trying. good to see you posting over here occasionally..

roy
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:05 PM   #16

oh, you guys and cals need to take it easy on him. his head is going to explode.... hehe
Old Jul 20, 2006, 8:51 PM   #17

Very impressive macros.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 10:26 PM   #18

Excellent shots!! Beautiful detail you've captured here. Look forward to seeing lots more.......cheers......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:19 AM   #19

Questions: How far away were you, lens-front to subject? I am having a difficult time understand distances when I see these beautiful macros.

Thanks
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 8:38 AM   #20

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
Questions: How far away were you, lens-front to subject? I am having a difficult time understand distances when I see these beautiful macros.

Thanks
usually the distance is measured from the camera body. working distance with a 1:1 50mm is under 6'', a 100mm about 12''. will's smc100 is a shorter lense than my vivitar 105mm. when i'm cranked all the way out to 1:1 my lens is about 8.5'' long giving me an actual , lens to subject distance of about 3.5''. the DA 100 is probably at least 1.5'' shorter than mine which would give will's lens distance to subject of 5''+. if you use sigma's 180mm 1:1 macro then camera to subject would be around 18''. i don't know the length of the sigma but would doubt that it's more than 8'' giving you 10'' between subject and lens front. it's cost ,tho, is 6-700usd.

roy

edit: when doing macro you would think you would have to be very close to your subject but it's just not how it is.. what's good about extension tubes is that you get more magnification but maintain the working distance if the lens.