Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 20, 2006, 3:38 PM   #1

I took this today with my DS using a 300mm lens off my Pentax 645 and the K mount adapter at 1/1500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400. Caught the Heron just as it was taking off without a tripod.

Same lens!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:17 PM   #2

great and vibrant tom, as usual. glad the ''padcutter'' had a name so i could figure out what it was instead of making a fool of myself when i asked what the snow blower was.. haha,,, bet all of you folks up north had a good laugh at the southerner..

roy
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:03 PM   #3

Roy,

To justify the insane lake taxes they have here, the city has this lily pad chopper come in once a year and turn what is basically a swamp into a lake surrounded by pads.

It is a great place to take photos of water birds since they are not very people shy, but they only allow you within thirty or forty yards unless you are in a boat and then you can not stop the boat.

There was a thread about poor out of the camera images with Pentax and I find that if you have a sharp, high contrast lens the colors are just right and need no work at all, and since I shoot only jpg, I do use a slight bit of USM, but very little.

These are amazing cameras considering their cost and I for one am very happy to have one to use.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 5:28 PM   #4

Those are great, Tom!

I always look forward to your heron photos.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 6:37 PM   #5

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Roy,
These are amazing cameras considering their cost and I for one am very happy to have one to use.
Tom
i whole heartily agree!!! the C & N folks can't stand it at times. our images are as good at probably a third the cost.. and what about the 24,000,000 lenses we can use..
Old Jul 20, 2006, 9:35 PM   #6

After testing my DL with a Samyang 500mm mirror lens and another "no-name" Sears lens I must concur. The quality of the lens has a tremendous impact on the images produced by this camera. All of my Pentax lenses give good results, but the old M50mm f1.7 prime outshines the others in contrast and shows the true advantage of a simple decent prime lens over a complex zoom design.

You certainly are well within the lenses' "sweet spot" when you mount a good medium format lens on an APS-C format camera (not much chance of vignetting here)!!

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 11:29 PM   #7

Great shots Tom. Love the heron taking off. .........cheers......Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote