Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2006, 3:39 AM   #11

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for all your advice, I'll give the DL2 another go as I obviously didn't set the camera up correctly.

Is the DL2 the best camera to go for, or would i be better going for the DS or the DS2?

Eric, nice photo, thats exactly the sort of effect that I didn't think the camera would be able to produce, I've still got lots to learn :-)
tokendream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:59 AM   #12

i'd go for the DS if i could find one, simply for it's TTL flash capability. you could save a lot of $$ on an externalflash with it..

roy
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:04 AM   #13

tokendream wrote:
Quote:
Is the DL2 the best camera to go for, or would i be better going for the DS or the DS2?:-)
K100D is the best camera to go
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:20 AM   #14

Hi guys,

I'm still a little confused, I've read the reviews for the K100D and there seems to be little difference in the basic spec between that and the ist*DL

It does mention a greater dynamic range, but I'm not really sure what the means, any help with that would be greatly appreciated as I only have limited knowledge of the digital market.

I have had others suggesting to me that the DL would be the best bet because it has a mechanical arm in the housing to hold the apperture open when changing the f-stop on the lens which isn't on the DL2 (not sure about the K100D and the DS with this). Apparently this allows constent light to the view finder when adjusting aperture. Again any comments here would be appreciated.

I've also been told that the DL2 is a cut down version of the DL, and that it's only available in the UK from Jessops as a budget version of the DL2.

I guess the other consideration is price, am i likely to get a DL or DS ata much cheaper price compared to a camera which has only just hit the market.

I'm keen to get started with my digital photography, however, I need to make sure I get the right camera from the outset, an one that will still support me as my photography developes.

Thanks again for all your ideas and thoughts
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:37 AM   #15

What is in K100D and not in DL:
+ Shake Reduction (SR) in body. You gain additional 2-3 f-stops with it;
+ 11point AF (3 in DL) which also performs better and faster;
+ improved jpeg engine;
+ improved exposure metering;
+ better grip.

DL2 isn't cut down version of DL, it's kind of evolution of DL with minor improvements.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:41 AM   #16

And how does this compare to the DS?

Starting to sound like the K100D is the right camera....
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:42 AM   #17

hmmmm.... I don't know where you have been getting information; but, I don't think much of any of it sounds correct to my knowledge.
The DL2 is an updated version of the DL and is not just available from a single retailer to my knowledge.
The DL does not have any actuator for aperture which any of the other Dxx series cameras do not have to my knowledge.
The k100d is the newest model from pentax. Not even fully released yet it has been available for a couple of weeks in some parts of the world.
I'm not sure where you are located...
The biggest reason to go k100d is the shake reduction system. Though its jpg compression and other things have also apparently been reworked.
The overall impression of it has been good.
The only reasons not to go k100d at the moment would be if you had a specific need for ttl flash, which would mean the DS or original D... or waiting to see what the k10d offers in another month or two.
The only other reason might be price as you might get some close out deals from older models as the k100d comes in.
There is also a k110d coming, which is the same as the k100d without the shake reduction.

also check the forums at dpreview dot com for lots of info....

- mike

savagemikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:54 AM   #18

Thanks Mike, I'll check the dpreview forum too. I'm in the UK btw :-)

I've read that the shake reduction system is badly implemented (no indicator that it's on or if it is going to tbe effective until you actually look at the photo), and that the claimed addtitional 2 to 3 stops is unlikely.

The other thing I've read is that with theDL, DL2 and the DS. the jpg compression is not so hot and it's better to shoot in RAW mode. Is this likely to be the same with the K100D (possibley and unfair question as the camera has only just hit the market)

Many thanks again,

Alan
Old Aug 1, 2006, 11:37 AM   #19

I read a review where they claimed the SR system was hard to determine if it was on or not, but since that is controlled by a switch (ON/OFF) on the back of the K100D I find that hard to believe.

Don't believe everything you read about jpg quality in the Pentax DSLR's.

ISO 400-jpg-1/750 sec-f/8

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:28 PM   #20

Tom-

I love that photo!

Token-

Initially there was so concern about the .jpg's out of the DS and RAW was producing markedly better quality photo. But in the long term everyone has used the .jg format in the DS with success.

I have not heard a single complaint about the SR system on the K100D, and I follow both the forums here and on dpreview.com.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote