Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 21, 2006, 3:10 AM   #1

Hi, hope you can help

I currently have a Pentax ME 35mm SLR with a range of lenses that I've inherited for my father. The leses are as follows;

Vivitar 28mm 1:2.8 Wide Angle MC No.42005194 O/49mm (circle with strikethrough)

SMC PENTAX-M 1:1.7 50mm 4562223 ASAHI OPT CO..JAPAN

Vivitar 75-205mm 1:3.8 MC MACRO FOCUSING ZOOM No.22126203 O/62mm

I think they are good lenses and would like to continue using them when I move across to digital SLR, however when I tried using the istD* DL2 with my lenses the aperture wheel on the lenses wouldn't talk to the camera.

The only option I can think of is to buy a manual light meter and do everything manually which would be a great way to improve my technical photography, but I imagine would become vexing quite quickly...

I also tried the supplied lense with the istD* and found that I couldn't get very slow shutter speeds outside (it was a bright day), I like taking longer exposure photos (moving streams and waterfalls, etc) and on the lowest ISO setting the istD didn't seem to be able to drop below 1/180sec. Maybe this is just my lack of understanding, although I suspect it's because of the quality of the supplied lense.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I would like to keep using my lenses if it possible, however if there are better options, I'd be happy to think about them.

Many thanks in advance,

Alan
tokendream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:05 AM   #2

Alan

There's a menu setting that you need to alter in order to be able to use the apperture ring with your DL2. Go to the custom menu and make sure that you have use the apperture ring selected. With that done I would then suggest that you do a search on this forum for the best way to use manual lenses. It's been explained much better by others than I would do here.

As to the shutter speed issue, I take that you have done the obvious and tried shooting in shutter priority mode (tv on the dial) if you want a specific timed opening.

Dom
dms25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 4:06 AM   #3

You can use all your old lenses with the ist*D-DS-DL bodies. You can get even older screw-mount lenses from e-bay and use themwith an adapter. This is not possible with any other brand.

Check this thread: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

and this: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:11 AM   #4

Your lenses sound like they cover a good range, and I know that Pentax M 50mm 1.7 lens you have is very nice - I've used mine quite a bit on my DS (have the same lens). I don't know anything about your particular Vivitar lenses - they had the reputation of putting out a number of outstanding lenses, but not all of them were.

Do check the owners manual for changing the option to let the camera use the aperture ring - it amazes me that it is set to "off" for default settings. You can still use your lenses but the camera will not stop down the lens when you shoot (and 1.7 is way too open for some outside shooting!).

If you still are getting too fast shutter speeds on a bright day, you might want to get a polarizer (very useful) because it will also cut down the amount of available light. Or a neutral density filter - though it won't have the polarizing effects available (I occasionally use the polarizer but hardly ever use the ND filter I have).

Good luck with it!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:18 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
You can still use your lenses but the camera will not stop down the lens when you shoot (and 1.7 is way too open for some outside shooting!).
Oh yes it does, but only in M (manual) mode!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:20 AM   #6

My Vivitar 90mm macro lens had issue with my DL when I first got it. I couldn't use it at all until I set that option to allow aperture ring. Works great afterward tho.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 9:48 AM   #7

Hello. All three of the lenses you have are very good lenses. Keep them! You can use all of them on the new Pentax digital SLRs and you will be pleased with the quality of the images you get.

M42 fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:29 AM   #8

hi and welcome to the forum,

i use x4 (2 stop) and x8 (3 stop) neutral density filters and polarizers to slow the shutter when needed. if you get filters to fit your lens that takes the largest size (that's the number in mm with the struck through circle) they'll work fine on the other lenses with step up rings.

here's a example. ist dl with 18-55 kit lens, f/22 and 1/2 second exposure. i was experimenting with the nd filters that day; i'm sure i had at least one of them on but can't remember which.

happy shoot'n, eric
Attached Images

ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 2:11 PM   #9

very nice shot eric..
Old Jul 23, 2006, 7:37 AM   #10

To use your lenses on Pentax DSLR you must do following:
1) Go to Menu -> Custom settings -> Using aperture ring and set it to enabled. By default it's disabled.
2) they will work only in Manual mode. So, set camera to M, then set desired aperture with aperture ring on your lense, and press AE-L to measure exposure. Aperture will be closed, exposure measured and shutter speed adjusted accordingly.
3) Take a picture

You need to measure exposure before each shot, do it only when lighting changes

--
Edvinas
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote