Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:55 AM   #21

jabilson007 wrote:
Quote:
these dslr cameras are too heavy to hold or use a neck strap for too long.
Jon

Goodness, what would you have done pre-digital? :-)
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:02 AM   #22

Welcome! I, too, am a new DL owner. I have the kit lens, the 50mm/F1.4, and the Tamron 28-300mm zoom (http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/a06.asp). I also have the Sigma 55-200mm zoom, but I'm selling it. The Tamron's wide range interests me more, and it didn't cost that much ($140 at Beach). For a pack, I found a brand (Naneu Pro - http://www.naneupro.com/military-ops/echo/) at my local independent camera store that seems equivalent to Lowepro or Tamrac, but about $10 cheaper. I got one of the sling types, and it seems okay. I'll be taking iton a trip to Savannah this weekend, so I'll really have a chance to give it a workout. I also found a smaller Pentax-labeled SLR holster that holds the camera with one lens and extra batteries and memory. I found that at the camera store as well. Judging by the size, it's probably intended for a film SLR, but that leaves plenty of room for the DL. I use that more than I do the sling pack, since I usually just run out and quickly take a few pictures.

Anyway, have fun and post some pictures!

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:43 AM   #23

Bummer. It looks like I got a bad 24-135 lens from Cameta. I told them about the focus wandering and the menu screen shutting off in .5 sec. and they emailed back:

[align=left]Sorry that the lens acts different than your other lenses.[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]As Pentax as well as all the other manufacturers continuously makes changes to the AF, exposure and flash systems in their digital SLR's, the firmware in this Sigma lens is not of the latest type that the latest Pentax's use.[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Please check with Sigma @ (631) 585-1144 or (800) 896-6858 to see if it actually should be working in all ways with your DL despite its age. [/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Maybe they can determine if it is actually defective in which case it can be repaired/ replaced or can never work in all ways with your DL or that they may have a firmware upgrade for it.[/align] [align=left][/align] [align=left]Cameta Camera[/align] [align=left]Customer Service

[/align]I will have to call Sigma on monday. Too bad, although really heavy, it takes sharp pics. I have tested the built in flash, and it is really strong. Thats good but wow harsh shadows. Any suggestions on an inexpensive bounce/swivel flash compatible with the DL?

Sorry for all the questions/recommendations. I'm trying to speed up the learning curve!

Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:27 AM   #24

Jon-

I am about to start the promised flash thread today. We will begin very simply and then gradually work our way through the on board flash,bounce flash, slave flashes, diffussers and the like and how to use them. So Jon, the answer is yes, we will address the harsh shadow and the harsh lighting in general that comes out of a flash and how to tame it a bit.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:09 AM   #25

Do have a link to the flash thread? I can't find it.

Thanks
Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 6:51 AM   #26

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote