Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:37 AM   #1

I am new to the forums and I have just purchased an *ist DL and am awaiting my memory and lens shipments. After some research I have chosen a Sigma 24-135 lens and A-data turbo 150x 2gb memory card. I also am in the process of getting the 18-50 lens for wide angle and a 70-300 lens for tele. I would appreciate some input on my decisions and some suggestions. I am also looking to get a backpack camera bag and tripod.

Thanks,
Jon
jabilson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:50 AM   #2

Welcome, Jon!

Depending on your previous experience (You work in the printing business, and obviously you know a lot about pictures. Own photo experience?) I'd suggest that you hold back a while before you start buying more lenses. The Sigma covers a wide range, and it will be OK while you try out the camera.

Some say that there are 17 millon lenses fitting the DL, others suggest 24 million. My approach is to pay more for fewer lenses, than to fill my shelves with lenses seldom used. Personally I prefer prime lenses, but others on this forum get stunning results with zooms. Once you decide more specifically what you need, there are true experts on macro, sports, sunsets (check the sunset thread!), birds, whatever... who will give very good advice on pros and cons of various lenses and accessories.

Looking forwards to see your pictures posted!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 1:55 AM   #3

Welcome

The problem with lenses for the Pentax DSLRs is avaialbilty.

There are only 24,000,000 of them out there that range from screw mount to all the K mount lenses in zoom and primes.

This deplorable lack of restriction in lenses came about because Pentax made the DSLR mount far too compatible with existing lenses.

The common result of this is the chronic and incurable condition called LBA ( Lens Buying Addiction) that some members of this forum are severely afflicted with.

Only three lenses , you have got to be kidding!!

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:21 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum, you will find everyone here incredibly friendly and helpful and when you post pics, the only criticizms will be constructive, there is never any negative attitude on here, just encouragement which I find a great confidence boost.

Alison
alibunnylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 3:28 AM   #5

philneast wrote:
Quote:
Welcome

The problem with lenses for the Pentax DSLRs is avaialbilty.

There are only 24,000,000 of them out there that range from screw mount to all the K mount lenses in zoom and primes.

This deplorable lack of restriction in lenses came about because Pentax made the DSLR mount far too compatible with existing lenses.

The common result of this is the chronic and incurable condition called LBA ( Lens Buying Addiction) that some members of this forum are severely afflicted with.

Only three lenses , you have got to be kidding!!

PHIL!!!!
you're a hoot!!! try emptying their bank acc.

jabilson007,
looks like a good plan for now but once you have all of this, learn all you can before you purchase any more lenses.

Old Jul 22, 2006, 7:40 AM   #6

Buy the minimum amount of lenses at first and then do your research based on what you see on forums like this before you decide what other lenses to spend your money on.

I agree with Kjell, that you will be better off image wise with a limited amount of high quality lenses if you can afford them. If not, then get the best lenses you find in your budget.

I find prime lenses to be the best choice because the highest quality zoom lenses are very expensive and never really reach the image quality of a good prime lens.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:02 AM   #7

jabilison-

Welcome to the forum. As you can already see, everyone is friendly and helpful here. In addition we have a good amount of experience as well. I think that Kjell has given you some very good advice about lens purchases. The Sigma 24-135mm will be enough to cover your need initially. Take a month or two to determine what you want to add beyond that.

Fifty plus years ago, when I was an apprentice photographer, and wet behind the ears, my boss, who was a great teacher, gave me an ultimatum. He said, "Your Crown Graphic has a 120mm Wollensak lens on it, and that is all I am giving you. I want you to complete every assignment with just that lens for the next three months. That is the way you will really learn this business and really learn to use your camera.Use your feet and your head to complete the jobs I give you. I'll work with you when I can. But believe me, you will learn about photography in the process these next three months." That was excellent advice.

Most local Community Colleges today are at least offering an Introduction to Digital Cameras or a Beginning Single Lens Reflex Camera Workshop courses (I am currently teaching both of those classes)which give the P&S'er an excellent pathway to make an easier transition from P&S to DSLR.

There will be a learning curve when you move over to a DSLR. But taking a regularly scheduled class once or twice a week over a five or ten week period, where you can shoot lots of photos on your own between classes to re-inforce that learning, really eases the squeeze of the learning curve.

MT

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:07 AM   #8

Welcome to the Forum.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:29 AM   #9

I don't have much to add to what's been said before, except "hi!"

There's a thread here going on about carrying equipment - if you are looking for a backpack, it's well worth reading about all kinds of options out there.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:39 AM   #10

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Regards, Lawrence
Dr. C is offline   Reply With Quote