Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2006, 9:09 PM   #41

March 1966:: Icelandair DC-6 : NYC ->GANDER -> Keflavik -> Luxumbourg...20 hours total.Landed after dark in Gander, stayed for 2 hours (refueling, of course). Refueledat Keflavik/U.S. Navel Air Station.

The interior of the Gander terminal was brand new that year: my recollection is a giant ceramic wall mural of Canadian Geese in flight.

SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:49 PM   #42

I live in a tiny town in Midwestern Wisconsin, USA.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:31 PM   #43

Steve, I think the terminal looked much the same in 1984 when I went through there on an RNZAF B727 Briz Norton- Gander-Sydney- Ottawa- Cold Lake- San Diego- Hawaii-Pago Pago- Whenuapai (Auckland)-Wellington. As I recall by then the majority of trans Atlantic traffic was passing by and only tiddlers like us and Aeroflott enroute to Cuba were stoppinger at Gander.

I changed my profile to include my city, Wellington, cold, wet, windy on Cook Straight, i.e. right at the southern end of New Zealand's North Island.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 11:50 PM   #44

Gumnut

I think there are only three active posting Sandgropers here, you, me and Errno_gmm, but I believe there are a few lurkers.

Maybe we should organise a meet and photo shoot somewhere in the city when the weather turns nicer?

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:37 AM   #45

jhacker wrote:
Quote:
Hey Aaron,Love that bridge and sidewalk in the second picture. It reminds me of pictures I've seen of the old bridge of peace in Mostar, Bosnia-Herzogovina, except a bit smaller. How old is that part of your town and how old is the bridge?
Thanks to everyone. I will post more picutures here. Wish the raining season over soon.

The old part of Suzhou been there for over 12 hundred years. The streets, canals, bridges etc. all like the way they were.Of course, most of them were rebuilt in last century.

I moved to Suzhou 2 years ago, enjoy walking around old city, taking photos. However, living inthe oldpart of townisdifferent story, young people like me would rather like a place with AC, parking, flush toilet,...
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:49 AM   #46

Sarah, SteveModena and John Hill

Mostly freight carriers (old 747s), military and executive jets at Gander Airport these days. The international side of the terminal looks like it came through a time warp, except for a few modern conveniences it still looks like it did in the 1960s, mural and all.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:09 AM   #47

So the airport still hasn't changed? I think I vaguely remember landing there in the early 80s - can't remember which year - once (well, maybe twice - once going over and once returning). All I can really remember is that it was a very long flight and there wasn't much at all to do except stretch your legs in the airport. Funny how things fade away over the years to resurface with a couple of words - I haven't thought about that time in a very long time.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 8:44 AM   #48

SelrahCharleS wrote:
Quote:
I live in a tiny town in Midwestern Wisconsin, USA.
How tiny and what town? I just came back from my High School reunion and we only had 31 people in my class.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 6:52 PM   #49

Ira, I visited the Canadian end of the trans-Atlantic air traffic control centre which was at Gander in those days but I guess with modern system that has been moved to a more populated area?

My wife once applied for a hospital job at St Johns, she got a reply about six weeks later saying she was appointed but (fortunately?) she had already taken a job in Rarotonga. Would have been quite a contrast do you think?

Old Jul 25, 2006, 7:01 PM   #50

I have a few pictures on line at http://www.flickr.com/photos/akubra/ these all predate my Pentax *istDS with the exception of the macro core memory shot.