Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:58 AM   #11

Nick-

Post some photos, please. I am sure we are all wondering what the images really look like. Thanks!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:11 PM   #12

Nick-

After looking at the Samsung GX-1s prices on Pricegrabber and Froogle, I did not find a two lens kit, nor does it seem the camera is priced much lower than the DS.

Fill us in a bit, won't you please. Did you purchase in the USA?

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 25, 2006, 1:02 PM   #13

Hi Sarah,

I bought it in Ireland, where camera prices are usually a lot higher than in the US. But I think I got a relatively good price, as I essentially got the 50-200 lens free, compared to the cost of a DS. Some local stores were selling the DL+18-55 for considerably more that what i paid for my 2 lens kit, so I'm happy!

Nick

samples photo here:

www.flickr.com/photos/chenick/tags/samsunggx1s/

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Nick-

After looking at the Samsung GX-1s prices on Pricegrabber and Froogle, I did not find a two lens kit, nor does it seem the camera is priced much lower than the DS.

Fill us in a bit, won't you please. Did you purchase in the USA?

MT/Sarah
chenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 2:13 PM   #14

Thank you very much, Nick-

It looks like you really got yourself a deal and the photos arevery creditable as well. Samsung would sell more GX-1S cameras is they reduced the price or offered a rebate in the USA, I believe.

MT
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:12 PM   #15

Thanks again everyone for the information and opinions. You've been extremely helpful.

A coupla more weeks and I'm going to treat myself to a camera for my b'day. :GHehehe. I'm pretty sure it will be a pentax... Y'all have helped me feel a little bit more confident about putting down that kind of money to start this hobby.

MH

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:54 AM   #16

Is it possible that the DS2 and DL2 have been dropped so that Samsung can have the production volume for the identical GX-1S and GX-1L? Meanwhile Pentax concentrates on the new K series cameras and continues to sell the DL?

Just a thought, I see no problem with a Samsung label on my Pentax camera, it is still a Pentax after all.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:40 AM   #17

Ira-

But there is no price saving in going to a Samsung DSLR. These are low internet pricesat www.pricegrabber.com this morning (07/26)in the USA:

Samsung GX-1L - $595

Pentax DL - $495

That makes the Samsung label worth $100. I think that will scare away most DSLR shoppers. Is there something I am not seeing here?

MT/Sarah
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:18 PM   #18

I find it surprising that they are more expensive than the equivalent Pentax models. I would have though it would be the opposite. (was here in Ireland)
Also, in the UK Jessops have a £100 rebate (about US$185) on the GX-1S at the minute. It's probably still more expensive than in the US though.

-Nick

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Ira-

But there is no price saving in going to a Samsung DSLR. These are low internet pricesat http://www.pricegrabber.com this morning (07/26)in the USA:

Samsung GX-1L - $595

Pentax DL - $495

That makes the Samsung label worth $100. I think that will scare away most DSLR shoppers. Is there something I am not seeing here?

MT/Sarah
chenick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:48 PM   #19

Actually, the DL and the Samsung aren't the same - the Samsung is a re-badged DS2, so it has the larger LCD screen, the extra focus points of the DS and the pentaprism. Is it worth the extra $100? Maybe, depending on the person and what they want.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote