Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2006, 2:46 PM   #21

I travel with the smc FA 28-105 IF/AF on the camera and in the bag is theTamron Zoom Telephoto AF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF. The Tamron is a solid and robust performer. I can recommend both lens
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 4:21 PM   #22

Thank you. I am looking at this lens closely. It can be purchased here for $129.99 brand new. Do you have any thoughts about the Pentax-Takumar SMC 300mm f/4.0 screwmount as a prime lens on the *ist DL?
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:12 PM   #23

Justinian-

This is not exactly in the focal length range that you want. However, it does demonstrate the resolving power of the Pentax FA 80-200. It was taken with my DS.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:25 PM   #24

Justinian-

Here is the same photo taken with my DS and the Pentax 28-105mm lens mentioned above.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2006, 5:36 PM   #25

Justinian-

Finally here is the same photo using the Tamron 28-300mm XR lens.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:51 PM   #26

Those are great shots, Sarah. I suppose with some practice I might be able to do the same with my Pentax 50-200. In the meantime, I have my eye on an older K mount lens - the Pentax Takumar SMC 300mm F/4.0. I understand it is a fine lens if I can find one. Would $275.00 be too much to spend on this lens? If I cannot get this one, which would be an ideal length prime, then there are the telephoto zooms to consider. It gets confusing, though, when one photographer recommends the Tamron 28-300 and another the Tamron 75-300 and someone else the Pentax 80-320. Thanks again, as always.

J.D.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 6:53 PM   #27

Spinx wrote:
Quote:
I travel with the smc FA 28-105 IF/AF on the camera and in the bag is theTamron Zoom Telephoto AF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF. The Tamron is a solid and robust performer. I can recommend both lens
Justinain

I use a the same as Spinx for my walk around lense, The Pentax FA-28-105 IF/AF.

As my telephoto I carry a Sigma 70-300 APO DG MacroF4-5.6 It Is a Great lense. If you would like to see some picturesusing The lense. Check Out My posts in the"Air Show thread"

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:41 PM   #28

Black Knight wrote:
Quote:
Spinx wrote:
Quote:
Justinain

I use a the same as Spinx for my walk around lense, The Pentax FA-28-105 IF/AF.

As my telephoto I carry a Sigma 70-300 APO DG MacroF4-5.6 It Is a Great lense. If you would like to see some picturesusing The lense. Check Out My posts in the"Air Show thread"

BK
I viewed your shots at the Air Show and they are very sharp. I especially liked the second shot of the Thunderbirds, the Blue Angels and the Heritage Flyover. You are right about that Sigma lens. I am narrowing my choices down now to this one, the Tamron and the Pentax-Takumar 300mm f/4.0 prime. No one has commented about that last one. Perhaps that's because it is a much older lens with manual focus and a K mount, but I have read only fine reviews about it.

Thanks,
Justinian

Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:41 AM   #29

I have a 300mm f/4 Takumar M42 the same as this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-TAKUMA...QQcmdZViewItem

It is a bit different to your normal lenses in that the Aperture is at the front of the lens. I am very happy with the qualitiy of the pics I have taken with it.

These were taken at 300mm and the boy on the back of the crest was taken with a 2X Vivitar teleconverter (600mm). All have had some small amount of PP in PSE.

300mm

Lastly

Sorry to bore you so many pics.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 4:17 PM   #30

Crashman wrote:
Quote:
I have a 300mm f/4 Takumar M42 the same as this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PENTAX-TAKUMA...QQcmdZViewItem

It is a bit different to your normal lenses in that the Aperture is at the front of the lens. I am very happy with the qualitiy of the pics I have taken with it.

These were taken at 300mm and the boy on the back of the crest was taken with a 2X Vivitar teleconverter (600mm). All have had some small amount of PP in PSE.

Hi Crashman,
Thanks for sharing the photos. You are the only one on this forum who could give me any feedback about the Pentax-Takumar 300mm F4 prime. I had a chance to get one on eBay today. It sold for just $133.00 US, but I did not bother to bid on it because I still don't know enough about it. Plus it is large and heavy and for traveling, it would be a hassle to lug around. I can still bid on another one as there are several currently on eBay. I am beginning to see why so many "consumer" photographers choose telephoto zooms rather than telephoto primes. The primes are also very expensive. At this point, I am leaning towards the Sigma 70-300mm DG APO Super or the Pentax 80-320.
Do you find the Takamur 300mm burdensome to carry around? Do you always use a tripod when shooting w/ it? Thanks and all my best to the folks Down Under! I love Aussies and have a few friends in Melbourne and Sydney.

Cheers Mate,
Justinian