Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2006, 5:20 PM   #31

the tak would suit you. i thougt it was a M42 mount. they are on ebay usually
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:10 PM   #32

Justinian

Mine came with the original leather tube case which was looking pretty worn, so I purchased a lowepro LC4 lens case and it fits just lovely.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Lowepro-L...QQcmdZViewItem

Yes, she is heavy and I use a Slik350 monopod with ball head when I shoot, mostly. If the shutter speed is up near 1/2500 then I will free hand sometimes.

I think either the Sigma 70-300 or Pentax 80-320 will be a good starter and depending on how much you like shooting at the long end you might want to look at a tele-prime for the sharpness at 300mm or 400 or 500 or god help me longer:lol::lol:.

Al
:homey:
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:41 PM   #33

OK, I use to have the 300mm f/4 M42 lens and it was a very sharp lens, but my present FA* 300mm F/4.5 lens is much sharper. There are some A* K mount 300mm f/4 lenses out there that are sharper than the M42 version and less money than the FA* and will meter properly with a Pentax DSLR.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:07 AM   #34

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
OK, I use to have the 300mm f/4 M42 lens and it was a very sharp lens, but my present FA* 300mm F/4.5 lens is much sharper. There are some A* K mount 300mm f/4 lenses out there that are sharper than the M42 version and less money than the FA* and will meter properly with a Pentax DSLR.

Tom

Do you mean something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-APO-Macro-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is more than I want to spend right now and the FA * 300mm F/4.5 is also very pricey. I guess I'll have to start saving or settle for an older version. Thanks for your feedback.

Justinian

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:54 AM   #35

Hi Justinian,

Tom was referring to the Pentax A*300 f4 -- a great manual focus lens. The link you posted -- the Sigma 300 f4 APO Macro, while a very good lens, is not considered quite in the same class as the Pentax A*, F*, or FA* 300s in the f4-4.5 range IMHO (the *(star) class lenses are Pentax's best efforts -- outstanding optics and hand assembled). Another outstanding one is the Tokina AF 300 f4 II from what I've heard.

If you're really serious about shooting long teles, then my opinion is that you research the alternatives and wait for the opportunity to obtain one of the highest quality examples -- there's that much difference. And there's a bonus -- with the high end glass, the image degradation with using a quality TC is minimal IMO. My default birding setup is the Pentax FA*300 f4.5 + a Pentax F 1,7x Auto Focusing Adaptor -- which gives me 510mm (765 Eq) f7.6 in a reasonably compact 2 lb package. Sounds slow, but the lens is so sharp wide open, I just pretty much leave it there. Wide open performance is one of the main distictions that separate the great glass from their less expensive cousins. This combo is easily hand-held in my experience. Here's an example -- I'm sure that others could post some that are better -- I'm not the most meticulous birder around.

DS, FA*300/4.5 + PF 1/7x AFA, f9, 1/160, ISO 200 (the f9 is actually @f5.3 on the lens -- the 1,7x AFA actually reports aperture taking the TC into account)

In the long run, you'll get more real value if you step up to the best right away -- it may hurt to pay that much, but I haven't heard of a single person who regrets paying the entry fee for an A*300/4, an F*300/4.5 ED IF, or an FA*300/4.5 ED IF -- they are that good. BTW, the F* and FA* are pretty much the same optically -- a bit better (IMO) than the A*.

Justinian wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:

Tom

Do you mean something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sigma-APO-Macro-...QQcmdZViewItem

This is more than I want to spend right now and the FA * 300mm F/4.5 is also very pricey. I guess I'll have to start saving or settle for an older version. Thanks for your feedback.

Justinian

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:15 PM   #36

Snostorm,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge, advice and that amazing photo! What beautiful colors and aharpness. Unfortunately, I am just an ordinary consumer photography and I cannot say that I am "really serious about shooting long teles." I just want some nice, sharp photos. For now, either the Pentax Takumar 300mmm F4 K mount or Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro will have to do. The lenses you recommended produce fantastic results, but they are out of my price range.
Yetserday afternoon, I took some shots of my sister in her car and I was very pleased with the results. I used the Pentax 18-55mm kit lens and 50-200mm. I'll post them if my sister will let me.

Regards,
Justinian
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:17 PM   #37

Hi Justinian,

Thanks for the compliment on the oriole.

You mentioned a pretty high end prime in the Sigma, so I thought I'd chime in a little.

Believe it or not, I was pretty much of the same position last year -- just couldn't justify the cost of the high-end glass -- figured the posters that were touting them were elitists showing off their money. Then I was offered the opportunity to score a mint A*200/2.8 -- a very highly regarded lens. After I got it, I shot a few frames, and was completely blown away -- now I'm spoiled :sad:. . . and a lot poorer. . . but get some great images:-) . . . and those * lenses seem to keep getting more rare and expensive (read heavy rationalization here :O)

The Sigma APO DG macro and the Tamron LD Di macro in the same range are probably the best of the bunch. I personally have had a couple of not so good experiences with Sigma, but have had none with Pentax, Tamron, or Tokina, so if there is something comparable from Tamron or Tokina, I would usually lean towards them. Just make sure of the exact lens that you're buying, especially if it's used -- there have been many variations of both the Sigma and Tamron 70-300s -- some were significantly better than others.

Good luck in your search

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote