Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2006, 12:49 PM   #1

I know that this question has probably come up pretty often here, but I could not find too much information to help me, so I turn to the friendly members of our Pentax SLR forum for some advice.

Eventually, I would like to purchase a sharp zoom telephoto lens for nature, sports and wildlife shots. Something in the 70-300 or 400mm range would do nicely. There are a number of inexpensive lenses available but I don't know how good they are. Some have received good reviews and for others I cannot find anything. Here are the models I am talking about:

(1) Tamron AF 70-300MM F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 for Pentax
(2) Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF
(3) Sigma Manual zoom 75-300mm F/1.4-5.6 APO Macro for Pentax SLR
(4)
Sigma 70-300/4-5.6 APO Super II

(5) Sigma 400mm F/ 5.6 telephoto lens
(6)
Pentax-FA, 80-320mm f4.5-5.6 AF SMC Zoom

(7) Vivitar 100-400mm F/4.5-6.7 Series 1 AF zoom for Pentax SLR

It would be very helpful if members would number them in order of recommendation. None of them are pricey, and I do not want to spend $$ on junk, but I have found in my limited research that one can find a decent lens at a very good price and it pays to shop around and to ask questions. One guy on another forum said that he bought a Pentax 50mm F/1.2 for $20.00 on eBay and that was a steal for a great lens. Since I have the Pentax 50-200, I am looking for something with a longer focal range and if it means returning the P 50-200 to purchase one of the above, so be it. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Justinian
*ist DL, Pentax 18-55mm; Pentax 50-200mm; Tamron 90mm 1:1 Macro.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:39 PM   #2

all of these will give you good bang for the buck. be very careful about #5 tho. there are a number of versions of the 400 f5.6. get the apo or the macro model. leave the rest alone. very poor optically.. if the vivitar has the "A" setting i'd probably get it. it'll be heavy but the series1 lenses were vivitars PRO line. my 105 will go against any modern macro for sharpness. if you want a 80-200 i've got a mint M80-200 f4.

roy
Old Jul 23, 2006, 1:45 PM   #3

Well the Pentax 50mm f/2 is on the low end of being a great lens and $20 is about what they are going for on ebay.

If you are looking for a great lens for wildlife photography, you will not find one that is not very expensive, but if you want a good lens that can be use for wildlife photography, then some of the ones on your list will do.

I have the two Tamron lensed on your list and they are OK, but too soft for my needs although they are both capable of some nice images. The only Sigma long zoom I have had was the 70-200 f/2.8 and it is a very nice lens for a reasonable amount of money and extremely sharp except for at 2.8.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:22 PM   #4

I have the Pentax 80-320 and am happy with it ... I wish the images were sharper but I'm always handholding the lensand have not done enough experimentation with different f stops etc ... so I might be a good bit of the "problem". I find the focus fast and accurate. It is light and easy to carry and I think it is a good lens for the money.

Cheers, Mike
mgedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:31 PM   #5

I second Mike's response, the 80-320mm Pentax is a nice lens. I have the FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 lens (there is also an FA 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 (sic) model of this lens but I believe this is a power zoom model and is much heavier) and it is quite good.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 3:43 PM   #6

My first experience with the Vivitar Series One lens line is a 70-210mm F2.8-F 4.0 which has been a very cheap ($69)and quite sharp lens. I bought it initially for low light level shooting, but after using it for awhile on my KM 5D, and finding that Iwas using it more and more, I ordered one for my Pentax DS.

You should know that this is a push-pull type of zoom lens, which some folks might object to, but heck for $69 plus S&H, it a bargain. Here is a sample photo from that lens.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:22 PM   #7

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
My first experience with the Vivitar Series One lens line is a 70-210mm F2.8-F 4.0 which has been a very cheap ($69)and quite sharp lens. I bought it initially for low light level shooting, but after using it for awhile on my KM 5D, and finding that Iwas using it more and more, I ordered one for my Pentax DS.

You should know that this is a push-pull type of zoom lens, which some folks might object to, but heck for $69 plus S&H, it a bargain. Here is a sample photo from that lens.

MT/Sarah
sarah, you have to be careful with this lens also. there were 5 versions of the series 1 produced. the first 3 are great. forget the last 2 and any other 70-210 that vivitar made. the 3rd version is the better one and it has the A setting. when buying these vivitar series1 lenses get the serial number and check who the manufacturer was.
Old Jul 23, 2006, 4:54 PM   #8

I am looking into all your suggestions. I don't know if the Vivitar has an "A" setting, but I will find out. I read some very fine reviews for the Pentax 80-320 also. How about this one: Tamron 200-400mm F/1.6-3.0 Manual Screw Mount? This has just the amount of zoom that I am looking for. It is selling on eBay for $185.00. Is it worth it? Any other suggestions that are not on my list? Thanks.

Justinian

Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:10 PM   #9

Roy-

The serial number on the Vivitar 70-210mm F 2.8-F 4.0push pull lens is 9550129. I cannot find any A designation on the lens itself nor can I determine if the lens was made by somebody other than Vivitar. The lens can also be used as a Macro lens as well, that is the feature that drew to the lens.

Here is another photo sample from the Vivitar 70-210mm lens that I just took.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2006, 5:19 PM   #10

justinian-

That Tamron 400-600 F 6.3 lens looks huge. I hope for your sake it has a tripod mount on the lens. Wow!

MT