Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:10 PM   #1

I spent this morning shooting pictures in a nearby meadow, wandering around at over 8,000 feet elevation. Not long after I got home, a big thunderstorm blew up (I didn't get any lightning pictures - it was pouring and hailing too much). A little later, I looked out my upstairs window and took this picture - it is definitely not something you want to see from your back window! It's been several hours and they still don't have a handle on it. This is the disadvantage to living in the middle of a national forest.
Attached Images

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2006, 9:14 PM   #2

Our prayers are with you, I hope they get it under control soon.We have been lucky so far. We have been having a particularly dry summer (for Newfoundland). This weekend it rained so we may have a little relief from the risk.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:34 PM   #3

mtngal

I'll Keep My Fingers crossed for You!! Best of luck

BK
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the good wishes, Ira.

We took a drive to find out just how far away this fire is. I took a couple of pictures of the helecopters working the fire.
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:41 PM   #5

A little further on we found the fire itself. It's not close enough to start evacuating, but its still worrisome. This picture of the fire itself was taken next to a county park, about 8 miles fromour house. We'll be sleeping lightly tonight!

Edited to add: the first photo was taken with a M24mm 2.8 lens, the second two with the DA 50-200 lens.
Attached Images

Old Jul 23, 2006, 10:50 PM   #6

Wow, that's not something you want to mess with. Those firefighting teams are good, but those fires are dangerous. Have you ever had to deal with a wildfire before, mtngal? Good luck and be safe.
jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 1:45 AM   #7

This is something I definitely rather seein a picture than in real life. Wish you luck, keep us informed.

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:24 AM   #8

I have a friend that lives in Vista, down by San Diego and a couple of times when I have visited him during the summer there have been fires like that over the hills that we could see from his front porch.

Hopefully they will contain it or it will go the other way and you will be safe!

It get so darn dry out there during the summer, although we are getting there around here this summer.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:31 AM   #9

I thought mosquito bites were the major hazard while shooting macro on the field. Hope you are ok .
And keep posting .

Daniel

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I spent this morning shooting pictures in a nearby meadow, wandering around at over 8,000 feet elevation. Not long after I got home, a big thunderstorm blew up (I didn't get any lightning pictures - it was pouring and hailing too much). A little later, I looked out my upstairs window and took this picture - it is definitely not something you want to see from your back window! It's been several hours and they still don't have a handle on it. This is the disadvantage to living in the middle of a national forest.
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:11 AM   #10

Update - As we drove into work (4:20am) the fire was still burning, but hadn't progressed too much. My main thought when I went by was that I was sorry I didn't have either a tripod with me or time enough to stop to take another picture - the fire really was lighting up the smoke, there were a number of large hotspotsand it would have made a neat photo.

I'm a native Californian, these fires happen every year. I've had my commute interrupted by fires more than by being snowed in. The closest I've been to one was a firetruck/road shoulder away (several years ago - pre-digital camera days). As we were driving home one night we kept hearing about the fire, and that the I-5 freeway was still open. We had just passed the last exit before the fire when they closed it - with a huge line of traffic (4 lanes) stopped, and the fire right next to the freeway. Of course, we were in the lane next to the fire so we watched the firefighters set backfires just on the other side of their truck from us - not a comfortable site. This is the closest one to the house.