Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 24, 2006, 7:02 PM   #1

Sekonic maybe. Any recommendations?
boomermet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:15 PM   #2

sorry no one has answered. i guess nobody here uses them anymore.. sekonic is an excellent choice. what application were you wanting to use it for?

welcome to the forum.

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:36 PM   #3

i too was also thinking about getting one. I used to be obsessive about getting the proper exposure in my film days, even wanted to purchase a grey card. doesnt anyone use external light meters anymore? or has digital with it's instantaneous feedback made these obsolete?
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:20 PM   #4

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
has digital with it's instantaneous feedback made these obsolete?
In short - Yes!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:48 PM   #5

I use a Gossen Luna-Star F, which can be used as a flash meter as well as a light meter.
  • Measures flash and ambient light at the same instant [/*]
  • Measures reflected light and subject contrast easily,just remove the incident diffuser dome [/*]
  • Head rotates through 270° allowing the photographer to see the large display while taking the readings. [/*]
  • Ergonomic design allows easy one-handed operation[/*]
You can take multiple readings and then average them out for the best exposure as well as a simple exposure check.

Tom

ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:17 PM   #6

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
i too was also thinking about getting one. I used to be obsessive about getting the proper exposure in my film days, even wanted to purchase a grey card. doesnt anyone use external light meters anymore? or has digital with it's instantaneous feedback made these obsolete?
ar,
i've got a 4x5 gray card in my kit bag. the other side is white. good tool for MWB..

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:55 PM   #7

Use the histogram. It does make the light meter obsolete in the sense that you can get the information you need using it instead. In fact, some who use both formats will use the histogram from their digicam instead of taking a light meter along.

I have never used a light meter, but insteadlearned how to read and use a histogram.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:51 AM   #8

On my Gossen meter I just meter the darkest spot, the lightest spot and a midtone in the subject and imediately it gives me the average. Much faster than using my DS and then reading three histograms.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:15 AM   #9

I am puzzled by your need to read three histograms. Only one would suffice. Just read it from left to right. Shadows, midtones, higlights. Got my information from luminous-landscape.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 9:36 AM   #10

vIZnquest wrote:
Quote:
Use the histogram. It does make the light meter obsolete in the sense that you can get the information you need using it instead. In fact, some who use both formats will use the histogram from their digicam instead of taking a light meter along.

I have never used a light meter, but insteadlearned how to read and use a histogram.
Sounds like you never shot using film like some of us..Histogram when shooting pics of people? How does that work? While I'm on the subject, someone here mentioned just check the LCD, no need for a light meter. On my DL there has been many times were the pic look great on the LCD but when I went to look at it on my screen it was really dark. Can the LCD be trusted all the time? I also learned that the color saturation needed to be tweaked a little especially if any walls are light yellow. Is this normal?

boomermet is offline   Reply With Quote