Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:20 PM   #1

I was wondering how many on the forum might be considering the new OIS equipped Pentax K100D camera? Or perhaps are some waiting for the 10+mp K10D coming for the Christmas Market?

I will wait for the complete reviews on the K100D, but I have to admit to being interested. The 10+mp K10D I am afraid will be over my/our budget even with Christmas coming.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:31 PM   #2

Hi Sarah. I'm definitely interested in the new Pentax bodies. If they didn't have the new OIS, I probably wouldn't be interested. But I frequently try to shoot wildlife, and an extra stop or 2 would benefit me greatly. I'm interested in the new K100 to see how the stableization works, but would probably wait for the new k10d to buy if the OIS is well reviewed........cheers.....Don.
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:32 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I was wondering how many on the forum might be considering the new OIS equipped Pentax K100D camera? Or perhaps are some waiting for the 10+mp K10D coming for the Christmas Market?
I preordered my K100D, and am now eagerly waiting for it to come out! It just felt like the right combination of features for the price, and I've always liked Pentax SLRs.

Okay, I admit I was pretty curious about the built-in IS. I got pretty spoiled by the IS on my Canon S1.

DropZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:39 PM   #4

I'm just waiting until september, when a friend who lives in USA will bring to me the K100d without paying the extorsive brazilian taxes.

I hope I will not be disappointed after waiting so many time....
aneopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:37 AM   #5

i'm definately with don on this. i'll review the IS and wait on the K10D. hopefully it will not be priced out of reach. i will not be the 1st to purchase tho. i'll wait on reviews and possibly a price break. say next spring.. i can wait as the DS is treating me well at this time.

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:51 AM   #6

Ever since 1981 I have always had two camera bodies in my kit, "just in case" (a K1000 and an ME Super for most of that time and a brief interlude with a Minolta Maxxum 7000 and 5000). I am now squirreling away money for my second dSLR body (the DL is my current camera). To be totally honest I will wait for the higher end model, more resolution does open up possibilities for cropping etc.I will probably go with the K100D however becausethis is a price point that I can afford without guilt. With my family commitments and income restraints I can't really justify much more than $500 (a figure I can earn back with one wedding shoot, I usually do two "budget" weddings a year for friends or those who cannot afford the pro prices). Who knows, I may even just get another DL since I do not like too much technical complexity (especially involving moving parts) since it just means more chances for things to go wrong.

BTW, my entry level K1000 finally died of a broken shutter after 21 years, about 30 weddings, at least 6 family albums, about 600 slidesand an undisclosed number of bad prints hidden in boxes in the back of the closet. I would say that if you included "play" time it probably saw near 100000 actuations and was not pampered. Simple works.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 7:58 AM   #7

I will wait for the K10D since I have a friend with a D200 and I can see the difference between his D70 and the D200 in sharpness the extra pixels brings. I will then pair that up with my DS and I should be good for quite a while, although I have been quite satisfied with the performance of my DS this last year.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 8:39 AM   #8

One thing I find is that, with my present computer setup, I have issues dealing with the 6MP RAW files (it works fine but is slow). If I were to go to 10MP I may very well have to upgrade my computer as well. This cost would have to be factored in as well so a higher resolution camera could be a costly proposition.

Right now 6MP is giving me the "print" quality I need.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:48 AM   #9

I agree with you, Ira-

...I don't feel a real need right now to get above 6mp. 6mp is filling my need for print size and cropping quite well. What I do need is OIS. After using my KM 5D a lot I became convinced about the need for OIS.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:07 PM   #10

MT

I am anxiously awaiting the release and reviews of the K100d. I wanted a KM5D but it didn't feel good in my hands, neither did the Nikon or Canon. Pentax felt great though. But since I shoot my kids riding horses I wanted better/faster autofocus and better burst than the dl has. Was very excited when k100d was announced. If the ergonomics are similar to dl and autofocus is faster it will be the one for me. Now I just need to convince my other half that I need it and we can afford it!!! The IS is an added bonus and I would definitely spend the extra $100 for it.

Peggy:|
pmanza is offline   Reply With Quote