Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:19 AM   #1

Hi all - I continue to learn how to use my istDS and experiment with different types of photos, but one area I've continued to struggle with is the Tv (shutter priority) mode. Since I routinely lurk here, and have been very impressed with the knowledge and skill of the people at this site, I figured it would be the perfect place to ask some questions!

Basically, I've been trying to photograph waterfalls, but am unable to expose the shot long enough to get a good, silky effect on the water without overexposing. I am wondering if any of the following techniques are valid:

a) decreasing the saturation, sharpness, contrast, etc settings in the camera itself

b) using a dark filter on my lenses

c) shooting in RAW (I have been using the highest jpg setting)

d) using Exposure compensation (Av button?)

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I don't have much prior photography experience - so any help you can provide will be very appreciated!

Thanks - mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:53 AM   #2

Mutty-

The best way to get what you desire is to use a ND (neutral density) filter so you can get a normal exposure with about a 1/2 second shutter speed. You will have to use a tripod of course.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:46 PM   #3

Raw will give you more lattitude to correct the exposure later. You can also process twice, one for the highlights and again for the shadows. Then you can merge the two layers into one image. It's the electronic version of a neutral density (ND) filter. It's also more precise since you can choose how much and where to apply the effect.

If you set the camera to Tv and choose a long shutter speed (say 0.5 sec or even a little longer), the camera should adjust aperture and ISO to compensate. If it can't, you can also adjust the exposure compensation by 1/3, 1/2 or 1 setting.

Keep playing with it. The camera can take the shot once you get it set up.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:04 PM   #4

Excellent - thanks for the responses. I'm ordering a couple ND filters, and will also continue to play with the Tv settings.

Do you know: does the exposure compensation simply adjust the time the shutter is open, thus undoing the shutter speed, or does it change the exposure in some other way?

mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:16 PM   #5

Mutty-

In most cameras it will first use the shutter speed and the adjustment mode, then it will go to the aperture.

MT
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:08 PM   #6

only thing that will work here is use a tripod, set cam at smallest aperture and iso. look at the time . if it's below 1/30 a second you will get some movement depending on how fast the water is flowing. if it's above 1/30sec or you want more movement then ust the ND filters. a polarizer will also help knock the exposure to a slower setting..