Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:48 PM   #11

the prob working with these lo res shots is the artifacts created when you edit them.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:54 PM   #12

I'm just reading up on flash photography and learning the language and mechanics of it myself. so i am assuming by slave you had a secondary flash attatched to a tripod closer to the stage then connected to your dslr via a sync cord? or was the flash mounted on your camera's hotshoe? what kind of flash were you using?

If i am hijacking this thread please private message me if you can and my apologies to the original poster, i might be asking a lot of flash questions

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
nlp-

Please keep in mind that the on board flash, that is built into your camera has a LIMITED range. At ISO 200 it will go out to only 10 to 12 feet. Naturally as you increase the ISO, the flash range will be extended. Another way of extending your flash range is to add a slave flash. Look at the attached photo example that I took with an Olympus E-300 DSLR at ISO 800and a slave flash.I was able to use a 40-200mm telephoto lensand I was 40 feet away.

Sarah
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 4:58 PM   #13

If you post a high res version or a link to it, there would be a better possibility of someone here being able to help you save the image, but the one you posted is simply too low res to work with.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:07 PM   #14

ar - you're not hijacking this thread at all - I didn't use any slaves, just onboard flash. MtClimber suggested it would be better if I did. Don't know the terminology or how it works myself - so WE all learn.

Tom, I just emailed Roy the original - not RAW but certainly not low-res like I posted earlier.

Thanks again people.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:32 PM   #15

nlp,
you have the D. it'll work with any dedicated TTL flash. there are hundreds of flashes available to the D and DS owners. look on ebay and pick one up for $10. i fried my last one but it was good to 40' iso200..

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:38 PM   #16

Sorry, here it is:

http://thepluginsite.com/products/ph...sher/index.htm

Scott

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
3. Snostorm, would love that link - didn't see one.
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:51 PM   #17

nlp239 wrote:
Quote:
ar - you're not hijacking this thread at all - I didn't use any slaves, just onboard flash. MtClimber suggested it would be better if I did. Don't know the terminology or how it works myself - so WE all learn.

Tom, I just emailed Roy the original - not RAW but certainly not low-res like I posted earlier.

Thanks again people.
let me go in to my DT and post it . back in ten..

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 6:03 PM   #18

posted here for anyone that wants to try. 1.2meg d/l
http://www.texasbostons.com/jc.jpg

roy
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:59 PM   #19

AR & NLP-

A slave flash is nothing more than an extra flash than can be mounted on your camera, mounted on an accessory flash bracket, mounted on a tripod, or just hamdheld. It is fired by a photo electric cell on the slave flash that fires the slave flash when it "sees" the lightfrom your camera's built-in flash firing. Think of a slave flash as simply a way to add more light, when needed, to your photo scene.

The attached photo shows the slave flash mounted on an accessory flash bracket.

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:02 PM   #20

Here is another slave flash, you will note it is much larger and more powerfulthan my favorite small slave flash that I carry with me all the time. However, itboth tilts and rotatesto give you some bounce flash ability, and more flexibility.

MT
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote