Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:10 PM   #21

Heres a Quick try at your photo- I worked the levels,brightness, a little Fill flash and a trip through Neat Image
Attached Images

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:12 PM   #22

Finally here is my small slave flash mounted rightmy Olympus E-300's hot shoe. This is one of the few cameras that can mount both the slave while the built-in flash is also deployed and operating simultaneously.

BTW, it was exactly this setup that I used to take the photo of the Puerto Vallarta dancer that Roy seemed to enjoy so much.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:11 AM   #23

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
BTW, it was exactly this setup that I used to take the photo of the Puerto Vallarta dancer that Roy seemed to enjoy so much.

MT/Sarah
it's the animal in me sarah. we need details..
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:39 AM   #24

Roy -

I do have a few more photos from that shoot, but they aren't as "uncovered" as that one.

Sarah
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:57 AM   #25

Sarah, thank you. So, you're saying that a small flash like that would be called a slave and that any would do on my D? Would these be available elsewhere if I can't find them on ebyebye.

Finally, just want to thank everyone for their help - I'm not going to fillup the whole thread with individual thanks.

Jaycee (JC)
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:52 AM   #26

nlp-

The small bower flash is the one I always carry with me, and yes, it will certainly work on your 1st D. It just uses 2 AA batteries and it is very handy. I actually purchased it on e-bay.

Here is a photo of it.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:50 AM   #27

So, would something like this actually work and be any good.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...%3AIT&rd=1

What about the others which say "for Canon", what would be the difference?

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:14 PM   #28

nlp-

That is a fairly large sized unit that is about 7" tall and 3.5" wide. The one I am using and that is pictured in my previous post is much smaller, just 2.0" wide by 3.5" tall which makes it a whole lot more convenient, and easily carried in a camera bag.

Yes, a slave flash is very effective, and that is why I carry one all the time. The Puerto Vallart Dancer photo that roy liked so well was taken with my Olympus E-300 with a 40-150mm telephoto at a distance of 40 feet.

MT/Sarah

Old Jul 27, 2006, 12:44 PM   #29

I hate being a pest especially given the fact that I originally started this thread to see what went wrong.

It seems that the link above is for a Canon that's why it is AF"C".

Anyway my question remains will this work with a Pentax istD? Also, as you say this is a 7" flash what size then is the one you picture Sarah?

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2006, 1:30 PM   #30

Hi nlp239,

I think that the auction you posted was for a dedicated flash to the Canon EOS system. It won't work automatically with your D. If you want a dedicated flash, you would be looking for something that is either TTL or P-TTL dedicated to Pentaxes only. This is a whole different ballgame -- but worthwhile to persue if you want to do a lot of indoor stuff.

The kind of slave flashes that mtclimber mentioned are available from different mfgs. You want one that is designated for digital cameras though. The reason for this is that most digital cameras use a pre-flash to allow the camera to read the exposure, and a standard slave flash would fire on the pre-flash instead of the one actually used for the exposure. Your D's onboard flash is P-TTL and does the pre-flash thing.

I know that Bower, Sunpak and Vivitar all make digital slaves that will work with a pre-flash, and aren't too expensive. There may be others that I'm not aware of. Stay away from the smallest of the Vivitars though (the DF200 IIRC), it has too little power to be useful -- too bad since it's so small and easy to carry. Sunpak also makes a digital bracket that will use any hot-shoe flash and fire it from a slave controller in the handle.

Another tip about using one of these -- If you have any developed color film around, the exposed ends (black parts) can act as an infra-red pass filter, and you can attach it in front of your onboard flash to allow it to trigger the slave without the onboard flash adding to the exposure (to prevent red eye, or unwanted reflections, or just to get creative with your lighting.)

Dedicated flashes allow much more control over exposure, and a lot of other features, but, as I said, they are a whole different thing.

Hope that might help some

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote