Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:30 AM   #41

with my last post and pic, everything to me had too much red color cast and i removed some of it. is that you refer too??
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:31 AM   #42

I think you can achieve better results with your internal flash. The flash doesn't seem to be very smart so you have to beat it over the head to get what you want. I'm basing my experience on my DS, but I'm assuming the D is mostly the same.

When I first got my DS I was getting very inconsistent results using the internal flash. I don't think it was using the metering information very intelligently. I played around with spot, center and multi-segmented metering and took multiple pictures of dark and light objects at very reasonable ranges using the flash. The results ranged from awful (very dark) to perfect (nicely illuminated), but I couldn't identify a dependable strategy using the choice of metering. I had started a thread and talked at length with Crashman about this issue - that might've been in feb or march.

Ultimately, the beat it over the head approach is to:
1) Crank up the Flash Exposure Compensation in the main menu. I always keep it at +0.7, but it'll go to +1.0.
2) If that alone is not enough - and it may not be - then increase the primary exposure value as necessary. I also keep this at +0.7 most of the time.

Of course, you can always just get an external flash and all your troubles will go away, so I'm told. I haven't come around to doing this yet though.

Pat
pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 11:54 AM   #43

robar wrote:
Quote:
with my last post and pic, everything to me had too much red color cast and i removed some of it. is that you refer too??
Roy, it could be just me. Maybe there really wasn't that much colour in the hall. I'll play around a little with Colorwasher and Lightroom and CS and see what happens.

Pat, will this affect the results when doing shot without flash. And, an external flash is on the way - a couple of weeks me hopes.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:02 PM   #44

nlp,
The Flash Exposure Compensation only takes effect when using the flash. The exposure value is considered everytime you take a shot. I use center weighted metering and find that EV = 0.0 tends to be underexposed, so I keep the EV at +0.7 for most situations.

Either of these settings is a way you can tell the camera to take brighter pictures.

pwithem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:49 PM   #45

Jaycee-

That is one of the topics that we will cover in Lesson 2 in the Flash Thread.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:59 AM   #46

P with em, am I missing something? I don't have a Flash compensation in the Main Menu. Keep in mind i have the istD.

Sarah thanks for the lessons just getting there.

Now than I have started to read the Lessons, I wonder whether my problem was because I hadn't bothered to remove the lens hood!

I can't remember who suggested it (sorry) but I did do some accpetable work ColorWasher Version 1 - I can't afford to get Ver 2 right now anyway.

I was trying - out LightBox and it looks OK but find the interface not-so-user friendly.

For me, I consider this thread closed and want to thanks everyone for your help, assistance and patience.

Roy, you can delete the fullsize image at your leisure - THANKS

Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:32 PM   #47

pwithem wrote:
Quote:
The Flash Exposure Compensation only takes effect when using the flash. The exposure value is considered everytime you take a shot. I use center weighted metering and find that EV = 0.0 tends to be underexposed, so I keep the EV at +0.7 for most situations.

Either of these settings is a way you can tell the camera to take brighter pictures.

These settings do not seem to exist in the istD...does anyone know the equivelant?

Thanks for trying "pwithem"

JC
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:40 PM   #48

it's there for sure jc. i'll d/l the manual and get back to you.
Old Jul 31, 2006, 6:11 PM   #49

jaycee-

Flash compensation is really there on your *1st D camera.

The problem I face is attempting to adapt this Flash thread to every Pentax DSLR. At my own expense I have managed to gather up the DS, the DL, and the K100D. I just can't find a *1st D. I will try to download the Camera Manual, just as Roy is doing.

Because all the built-in Flashes are essentially the same, I could do Lesson 1 whith out much model differentiation. In Lesson 2, I really took great pains to separate everything out specifically by model.

Our goal here is to provide some solid learning for ALL of the readers and visitors to our Pentax DSLR folder. We also want to save people some money by purchasing the right equipment. I had great co-operation from a good number of folks in coming up with exactly which flash units were useable on the various cameras, and their prices.

Roy has be a very paintient saint by helping me every step of the way with this project. I truly believe thatthis Flash Threadhas taken a good direction and is a pretty solid source of good, easy to read information than camn be applied quite specifically to each reader's camera.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 1:00 AM   #50

Very true, and I thank the patience and time invested in learning these techniques and passing them on to us, so we can avoid some of the trial and error problems you guys have had.

Darren
Fred666 is offline   Reply With Quote