Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:51 PM   #11

TV remote sounds like something to try for sure. I do have one though after I got my DS and works fine. It is easier to carry around than a TV remote but can be easily lost since it is so tiny.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 4:09 PM   #12

Hello Everybody,

Following the info in this thread, I found an old remote control that was lying around the house.

It took me about 15 minutes of "puttering". I got it to work:-)

The remote I used was a RCA Systemlink 3 Universal Remote. I looked up the programming instructions on the web and just kept pressing the on off button till the shutter fired.

Accident or not, most of the other keys on the remote also fire the shutter!.
This is cool but also not cool because if the buttons are pressed in a camera bag, one might have a very dead battery. Also I pulled out the batterries from the remote and I reset the remote. The codes were retained :-). As mentioned earler in this thread, I can trigger the shutter from behind the camera too. Perhaps reflections from the wall in front has something to do with it. Anyway...it does work!!

I will try and find the code for the DL and post it. The pentax codes on the web dont work with the DL
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 8:41 PM   #13

There is also a freeware program you can download that will enable a PDA to use its infrared port to serve as a wireless remote. I've got it loaded on my Palm Treo. When I bring up the program (strangely named - Remote Control), the screen displays a large square with the word SHUTTER. Tapping the icon activates the remote control and triggers the shutter.

There's a much better chance I'll have my PDA with me than a TV remote.

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 9:38 PM   #14

this has turned into quite a thread....
Old Jul 31, 2006, 10:36 PM   #15

OK, I see a couple of references to having found the Pentax IR remote codes online but I dont seem to be able to locate them. Can someone post them if they have them please?

For the *istDS if possible.

John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:43 PM   #16

Here is what I found....they dont work for the DL though...maybe they will for the DS.

I found these on the web.

For me I use the manual approach. Took a few presses of the power button on the remote. It worked for me

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:10 AM   #17

wow i had no idea you could use universal remotes to trigger my DS. This is something i'll have to try, although i did buy the pentax/optio wireless remote and a pentax 205 cable switch off ebay for under $25 in total. I got the wireless remote last summer but it was quirky whether it wanted to work or not (have to be in direct line of sight) and the button was also a pain to hold in for long exposures. I then purchased the 205 cable switch a couple months ago for really cheap and its great. my only complaint is that the cable is a little too short. will probably build my own but i still want to try the universal remote approach.

cool thread!
ardigitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 2:01 AM   #18

Thanks fghouse 2000, unfortunately the universal remote I picked up today has to be coded in 5 numerals in the rang 1 through 4, really weird and I cant begin to understand how that should work. :sad:
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 5:50 AM   #19

Hey hey,It's finally cooled off here for a hot minute. I built my wired remote for my DL using a 2.5 mm plug from old phone/cell phone head sets. I cut it off from the head set ear piece, plug it into the camera. There are 2 sets of paired wires, one pair will trigger the camera, you can add more wire for a longer release. That's the pair that you attach a push button switch to, the other pair I just trim and wrap tape around and to the outside of the working pair. I attach the switch through a hole to the lid of a plastic film container, with the wire passing though and out the bottom of the film container. I just snap the lid in place and go shoot. Total cost $3.59 for a pair of switches from Radio Shack and 99 for the headsets from The 99 Stores.*My lighting guy (Larry Light Company of Hollywood, CA) He builds Strobe Systems, sells a Chinese Radio Trigger similar to a Pocket Wizard but for a $100. I'm going to try one next month. I have some old school studio strobes with a high trigger voltage. I'll let you know how it works.
featherman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 7:07 AM   #20

John Hill wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fghouse 2000, unfortunately the universal remote I picked up today has to be coded in 5 numerals in the rang 1 through 4, really weird and I cant begin to understand how that should work. :sad:

What brand and model remote did you get? Maybe we can help find the right code for you.
Rufus T Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote