Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:05 AM   #21

Hello Everybody,

I have more information,

I would seem that that in my case, the remote I use (RCA Systemlink - about 10 bucks at a Best Buy, Curcuit City etc.) triggers the shutter but not the autofocus. mechanism.

So when I press the on/off or for that matter any of the other working buttons, the picture gets taken in spite of it being out of focus which is not the case when you press the shutter release button on the camera. My understanding was that if the picture is out of focus, the shutter will not release. While I have found this to be true during normal use, it seems lit is it not valid when you use a remote.

Would anyone who owns a Pentax remote F care to comment on this?

F

fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 8:43 AM   #22

ardigitalman wrote:
Quote:
I then purchased the 205 cable switch a couple months ago for really cheap and its great. my only complaint is that the cable is a little too short. will probably build my own but i still want to try the universal remote approach.

Making the cable longer is no problem. Just get a cellphone earpiece extension cord. I have a 6 foot one that works well

Larry in Dallas
Heathglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 9:24 AM   #23

In the Custom setting menu there should be "AF in remote control" setting that is set to off by default. This is with the *ist DL... but it should be the same in the other cameras too. Hope that helps.

fghouse2000 wrote:
Quote:
Hello Everybody,

I have more information,

I would seem that that in my case, the remote I use (RCA Systemlink - about 10 bucks at a Best Buy, Curcuit City etc.) triggers the shutter but not the autofocus. mechanism.

So when I press the on/off or for that matter any of the other working buttons, the picture gets taken in spite of it being out of focus which is not the case when you press the shutter release button on the camera. My understanding was that if the picture is out of focus, the shutter will not release. While I have found this to be true during normal use, it seems lit is it not valid when you use a remote.

Would anyone who owns a Pentax remote F care to comment on this?

F
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:01 PM   #24

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
I have this wireless one that is shipped from China off ebay. It came in less than a week and works perfectly. The price is very low, but the shipping is five times the price of the unit but still only $12.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Remote-contro...QQcmdZViewItem

Tom
This is the remote on this link and it is small enough to have with you all the time and it works great. Ira, I still have some Canadian money left.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2006, 10:07 PM   #25

Hey Heathglen,

Where'd you get that Remote Control software for PDA. Website? I google'd, but the only freebie (I'm cheap) I found was OmniRemote. It works great on my tv, but not on the camera.

Thanks

Update:
Found it on sourceforge. It works on my *ist DS and Palm TX.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/prcf/

Cool little program.
macshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 12:06 AM   #26

I also built a wired remote from an old headphone cable, some switches, a regular headphone jack and a little box of mints.

One button is for focus/exposure and the other fires the shutter.
I'll probably add a new on/off switch for long exposures so I don't have to stand there holding the button down.
I can also extend it with a regular headphone extender If I need to.

Cost me about au$5 and 30 mins to make.

nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 2:13 AM   #27

sonstorm wrote: "For a wired remote, the Canon RS60-E3 for the EOS cameras works perfectly, and is less expensive than the Pentax version."

I've found this o ebay, it's on it's way, when it gets here I'll let you know how it works

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d..._BIN_Stores_IT
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:36 AM   #28

Can you post more details for the project on making a remote switch with the box of mints etc....am interested in knowing how you wire the focus and shutter seperately.
The ablity to extend the cable is useful.

F
fghouse2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:26 PM   #29

Here's the wiring diagram.

You'll need to use a multimeter to work out which wire goes to which part of the headphone jack(base, middle or tip) as the colours will be different inside your cable.

If you want to add an adapter in the case like I did, you'll need to use the multimeter again to see which pin is which.

Good luck
Attached Images

Old Aug 2, 2006, 8:29 PM   #30

Oh yeah, you'll need 2 "push to make" switches and an optional "on/off" switch.