Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:21 PM   #1

Pentax DL AutoPict kit lens 6M quality manual focus 2-sec timer: reduced in IrfanView to 30% at 100% Qand one-step of sharpening. Used BIMPlite to reduce Q to 95%.

Reddish.

Attached Images

SteveModena is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:24 PM   #2

Pentax DL AutoPict kit lens RAW quality manual focus 2-sec timer: reduced in IrfanView to 30% and two-steps of sharpening. Used BIMPlite to reduce Q to 95%.

I'd say it is closer to the colors I saw.

Is it the Pentax JPG algorithm doing this? Just wondering.
Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2006, 5:04 AM   #3

you probably need to set a manual white balance.. nice image anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:13 PM   #4

Thank you for prompting me to experiment with the White Balance.

Pentax ist-DL, kit lens, A-priority, WB=Tungsten, 6Mb JPEG, shot with streetlamp lighting; used InfraView for reduction to 30%, one step of sharpening; used BIMPlite to reduce to Q=95%;

Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5

This will give a better idea of how nice the WB=tungsten captured the colors "in the dark."

Pentax ist-DL, kit lens, A-priority, WB=Tungsten, 6Mb JPEG, shot with streetlamp lighting; used InfraView for reduction to 30%, one step of sharpening; used BIMPlite to reduce to Q=95%;

Attached Images

Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:17 PM   #6

OK - you've convinced me. I've been more or less ignoring the white balance (leaving the camera on auto), but that's probably because I shoot mostly outdoors. Guess I should start carrying around a white card now and seeing what difference it makes.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2006, 11:36 PM   #7

Wow - I know the white balance topic has been covered often in this forum but I never realized until this set of pics why it is so important to understand. Anybody have any hints around setting this ? Any knowledge about what to set the white balanceat when you hit a particular condition?

Bowenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:00 AM   #8

with those sorts of shots, if you shoot them in raw you can adjust the white balance as you convert the raw to jpeg, and you wont have to worry about what sort of white balance you need to choose on the field
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 7:05 AM   #9

I second that suggestion, if you shoot in RAW you can adjust white balance after the fact. With a little tweaking you will get the colour to look just as it did to you at the time. This is one area where RAW shines.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2006, 8:10 AM   #10

While I agree with you on how easy it is to adjust white balance when shooting raw, it would be faster to let the camera do it. I used to set the custom white balance all the time when I was using the Sony - just haven't felt a need to with the Pentax. I think I will start doing that, though, because it doesn't take much to set it (I used to use a white piece of paper, and once when I was out walking on a very foggy beach, I used a white car since I didn't have a piece of paper with me).

I've found that its harder for me to adjust white balance using ACR, though they do have a dropper you can use to set it, like using levels eye dropper in PS. I tend to over-do things when using the sliders.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote